Tubes, LPs, and the Goals of Audio
Dec 11, 2002 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
On Headwize about a year ago I posted a link to an article by Steve Deckert on "The potential fidelity of CD's and LP's." By the way, here's the link to his other articles.

An excerpt:

"Fact is, an LP played with a respectable MC cartridge and appropriate arm and table will WITH THE RIGHT ELECTRONICS still destroy the perceived fidelity of a CD.

With the incredible accuracy and ultra low distortion of solid state amplifiers and the digital front ends you hear (in a somewhat compressed and overly regulated way) exactly what's on the recording, a somewhat dry and rather two-dimensional sound. ...

Now there are two ways to make a typical dry recording sound listenable. One is to have a playback system that filters it to a point where the veil is so thick you can't tell what instruments are playing. The other is actually put back what is missing from the recording with a good mechanically resonant device like a cartridge.

...going for hard core accuracy will make aspirins a regular part of your listening equipment."

Anyway, I wanted to see what Head-Fiers had to say on this important and central audiophile topic.

Dec 11, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I can identify myself with that.

CDs with my SS amp sound undeniably more accurate, tighter, etc., but at the same time it's somehow boring. I don't know what it is, but I find it difficult listening even through one whole CD.

The vinyl/tube rig is addictive. I have a hard time every night dragging myself to bed, because there's just one more record I'd like to spin... and I'm pretty sure, if somebody would measure to system in regards to frequency response and whatever else you could measure it would fail miserably compared to my CD/SS rig.

As I said, I don't know what it is, but it's there.

Dec 11, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I agree. I do suffer from surface noise and sometimes tape hiss on analog recordings (especially with headphones), but with acoustic music, the presentation is much more like the concert hall.
Ironically, the concert hall is very noisy so the analog is more realistic in that respect as well! But I do love the black, digital background. But nothing beats a good piece of vinyl.

Dec 11, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 6
maybe it is like the difference between steak and chop meat , they both start out the same but which would you prefer ?

An analog recording/playback system attemps to recreate EXCACTLY what it is fed.Sometimes better than others but at all times the information is there even if below the noise threshold

Digital SAMPLES the performance and decides what we don't need

No thanks , I'll take mine whole ,with a baked potatoe on the side

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
Yes, but unless they have excellent equipment, vinyl in excellent condition and a lot of luck, what most people end up with is more akin to a steak that's been dropped on the floor.

Dec 11, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 6
More accuracy can be acheaved with nice solid state amps, and headphones designed for accuracy (etys come to mind), than is ever possible in a live concert, but is that really what you want? Personally, I seek the intimate feeling of a personal concert, with an undeniable sense of warmth to it, not nessairly warm sound, but just something that's comforting and smooth, with an intimate feel to it. I'm not obsessed with detail, i'm obsessed with the experence of it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back