Tubes in your pc
Dec 23, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
hahahahahaha SEARCH for PC tube. atleast 15 threads have been made on this motherboard.

IT IS NOT THE MOTHERBOARD!

(sorry 'bout that
biggrin.gif
)

It is a completely new sound card.

Dec 23, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

The idea has won both raves and jeers online. Audiophiles and sound engineers in message boards have differed, often bitterly, on whether the tube would make a difference to the sound. Tube amplification gives a "fuzzier" sound, many say, and while that might make it sound "warmer" to some ears, it would lack the precise reproduction of digital signals that a good-quality computer audio codec can provide, critics say.

gotta love it when critics take the time to listen to a product, instead of reading specs or what their grandparents tell them..

still, i find myself intrigued by this. however, i doubt it'd sound better than the external dac i have hooked up to my box now.

Dec 23, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 20
oh i thought you meant like 40 years ago before the transistor
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 20
According to the article:

'Taiwanese components company AOpen, part of the Acer Group, is selling a PC audio card based on a vacuum tube--the same century-old technology that sends electric guitar players and hi-fi aficionados into paroxysms of listening delight.'

Motherboard or "audio card'?

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 20
anyone with a small knowledge of computers can tell that this picture is of a motherboard:

122002tubesound.jpg

notice the white pci slots in the background? although aopen may be making a line of tube-based pci sound cards (i have no idea), this is not a picture of one at least.

Dec 25, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 20
BoardC3, you may be wrong in this case.

The pic is of the motherboard, but the article is about the audio card.

So, no, this has never been brought up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back