Tubes for the X-can V3?
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
I have just ordered an X-can, I borrowed it for a couple of days and the sound was just so musical and smooth that I was blown away.

Just for fun I will try to change tubes. so you guys and gals with X-can do you have any recommendations for tubes?

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the NOS 6922 are getting expensive. I would start with the Russian 6H23-EB. Good luck.

OK I will check them out, what difference do you think they make?

I have checked out PinkFloyds modds, I saw that you had a modded V3 is the difference big? To my ears the v3 sounded very good original, just burned in for two hours or something
blink.gif
, the only thing maybe lacking was to my ears the soundstage, can't imagine how a totaly burned in and modded x-can would sound.

I am not looking for bigger bass, with the Rotel rcd-06 - x-can v3 -Akg k701 or senn HD595 the bass was absolutely enough.

BTW I have not been listening to a tube amp before, one thing that struck my mind was that the sound was almost liquid and smooth flowing, is this an effect of the tubes? (in such case i am now a tube fanboy)

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 11
The rusian 6H23-EB will be clearer, have more detailed, and the bass will be punchier. I am a believer of the PinkFloyd mods. You may want to PM dw6928, he had my modded V2 for a few days and could offer a third party perspective. Of course the V2 and V3 sound differently with the V2 being punchier and a more fun amp. The V3 is more detailed and less punchy than the V2.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, congrats man! Eller vad man nu säger..?

Have tested the V3 once myself, it was truely a nice amp. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Btw. Have you bought a set of K701's? And, where did you order it from (the V3)?

Tjenare! Tackar tackar. Before I thought that Harmony design Ear 90 was a little better but when I borrowed the x-can home I was totaly sold and the thing that it is tubes that I can change is also appealing.

I have sold my appartment in Tuve so I got some money (reavinst) so this winter I have checked almost every HiFi store in Gothenburg for a nice HiFi setup, I ended up with Dynaudio audience 42, Rotel Ra-06, RCD-06 and X-can v3 I didn't buy the 701 (they were really lovely though) because now I will have something to wait for, maybe also check out 650 but I think they will be to bassy on my setup the Rotel is a little at the bassy side to my ears.

I bought everything at HiFi stället, he'd let me try everything I wanted at home from wednesday to Friday, I will get everything in the middle of next week (I feel like a little child on christmas day!)

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rusian 6H23-EB will be clearer, have more detailed, and the bass will be punchier. I am a believer of the PinkFloyd mods. You may want to PM dw6928, he had my modded V2 for a few days and could offer a third party perspective. Of course the V2 and V3 sound differently with the V2 being punchier and a more fun amp. The V3 is more detailed and less punchy than the V2.

Will it be better bass qualitative or just quantity? I'll guess the v3 is a little more neutral then? I thought the bass was almost a little to much when I listened to it, but I prefered it, my iriver sounded quite thin after I had listened to the v3 and Rotel, I think I might PM dw6928 and ask for tips.

It's fun that so many people like the x-can so much
600smile.gif

Thanx for the help.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 11
I have an older V.1 and have been having fun locating older RCA branded 6DJ8's, 6922's, etc.,(complementary numbers) from the 1960's from local established tv/radio repair shops and also e-bay listings. Some to look for have "made in West Germany" or "made in Gt. Britain" stenciled on them. West Germany made are Siemens and Gt. Britain are Mullards. Prices paid have varied between $7.50 per tube to $34.10 per. Have them guaranteed tested before buying. This can be an excellent source of excellent sound, and quite an adventure locating them.

Cheers,
TB

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 11
You will love the 6N1P-EB's. The work fine, and will brighten the sound over the 6H23-EB's.

But... even then it's hard to beat the stock JAN Philips 6922's - particularly with the Senns (they brighten the Senns a bit).

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will love the 6N1P-EB's. The work fine, and will brighten the sound over the 6H23-EB's.

But... even then it's hard to beat the stock JAN Philips 6922's - particularly with the Senns (they brighten the Senns a bit).

Yes, for Grado the 6H23-EB for Senn the 6N1P-EB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back