Tubes for the MG Head
Jul 17, 2001 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MikeR17

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this has already been asked. I didn't see it scrolling down the list, so I thought I'd post it. I'm just curious, but what are your favorite tubes w/ the MG Head? I'm going to be purchasing one soon and would like to know what the general concensus is on certain tubes. Also, anyone know of a good site to buy an MG Head from? Thanks guys--

Jul 17, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 8
You can buy an MG Head from Headroom...

And the general consensus on tubes is that there is none, depends on what you like...

However, I believe the best choice of current production tubes would be the Svetlana 12AX7 + 2x Ei EL84s combo, cheap too... but you can go wild with NOS... I think 5751s are regarded better than the 12AX7s but I may be wrong. Mullard CV4004s I hear are good though they may have a severe treble roll off. Telefunken 12AX7s (I think) are good I think.

Jul 17, 2001 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, I guess I'll help you out <cough>usethesearchfeature</cough>. Look in this thread.

cool.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Mullard CV4004s I hear are good though they may have a severe treble roll off
Arhmm, let me clarify. THe CV4004 only sound like they have treble rolled off because the other tubes have unnaturally boosted highs or alternatively are missing the lower chunk of the midrange. I'm about to sell my $70 smooth plate Telefunkens along with other NOS tubes because I have no more use for them. I invite you guys to compare the MG Head with the Mullard and stock driver tubes with a Corda headphone amp, which a fine SS amp that is flat to above 20Khz. You may find that the Mullard/MG Head combo does not lose much if anything in regards to the treble department compared to the Corda. I think KurtW and h_man can back me up on this :>.

Jul 18, 2001 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 8
I haven't heard any other MG Head except for Wing's with the CV4004. I have to agree with Wing that the treble is excellent, as is the rest of the sound. I certainly wouldn't want anything brighter unless I was trying to compensate for a weakness somewhere else in the chain.

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. Thanks for the link to the other thread, I must have missed it. I'm still debating as to which tubes to get, but you have made the choice considerably easier. Oh, and I know that you can buy an MG Head from HeadRoom for $270, but does anyone know of a place where I can find it cheaper? Thanks again..

Mike

Aug 1, 2001 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Headroom use to sell the MG Head for $270? I'm seeing it for $330 now. www.divertech.com has the amp for $270 and I'd be happy to pay that amount for it, but does anybody know of any other places to buy it?

Aug 1, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 8
I just bought a matched pair of perhaps the best EL84 ever made (according to numerous descriptions and accounts) - The Amperex Bugle Boy with D Getter made in Holland. Both of the tubes I bought were made the 31st week of 1959 according to the date codes.

I'm hoping to get my money's worth, because they cost me $100. Once all my rig is properly broken in, I'll post a comparative review of these tubes and the stock MG Head EL84s. Oh, and I will also be using a 12AX7 Bugle Boy (with halo getter) as well.

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back