Tubes -- Collect Them All?
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lowell888

New Head-Fier
I am new to tube rolling and am greatly enjoying the significant differences in sound that can be caused by changing tubes in an amp.  

As I've been exploring variations in tubes, though, I've seen (on eBay and various other sites) some amazing variations in prices for them -- some single tubes cost thousands of dollars.  What makes one tube so much more valuable than another of the same type?  Do people collect these things, as if they were stamps or motorcycles?  Any insight that you can provide will be appreciated!

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Tube rolling is fun, however like one of the guys said "It is not for the faint of heart". You can mess up your equipment if you are not careful.

I wanted to roll KT88s on my audio research amp that was designed for 6550s. These tubes are very similar but I was advised not to do it so I didn't. There are circuitry before and after the tubes that rely on the proper voltage/current within a certain range and if it gets out of that range, distortion goes up or worst component fails.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Do people collect these things, as if they were stamps or motorcycles?  Any insight that you can provide will be appreciated!

I'm sure there are people who collect them since they are in a way, historical relics of another era. But at the same time, it's nice have some type of peace of mind to have a decent stash of tubes to enjoy for many years to come on your favorite amp, especially if it is a classic tried and true amp like an old Dynaco or a DIY version of it. In the guitar world, old Fender tube amps never ever go out of style so for example, a stash of NOS 12AX7 tubes and some good old 6V6 or 6L6 tubes are always in demand but at the same time, there people who don't collect tubes and just buy them when they are needed like the new production Russian tubes which IMO can sound excellent on certain amps.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Ebay has the largest selection of thieves and fools, a perfect balance for a successful business.

Quote:
I am new to tube rolling and am greatly enjoying the significant differences in sound that can be caused by changing tubes in an amp.  

As I've been exploring variations in tubes, though, I've seen (on eBay and various other sites) some amazing variations in prices for them -- some single tubes cost thousands of dollars.  What makes one tube so much more valuable than another of the same type?  Do people collect these things, as if they were stamps or motorcycles?  Any insight that you can provide will be appreciated!

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Some tubes like the Tung-Sol 5998 / 7236 are becoming excessively difficult to find as NOS - and as such would command higher prices than stuff that is readily available, e.g. Russian/Chinese tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back