TubeDepot in Person
Dec 22, 2006 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tomb

Member of the Trade: Beezar.com
TubeDepot in Memphis, Tennesse

I'm in Memphis for the holidays, and in an area close to the TubeDepot's address. I had some time free from the relatives yesterday, and thought I'd try to find the place.

After a few wrong turns, I found a small industrial/commercial warehousing area between a couple of major residential thoroughfares. The TubeDepot was there. A small door was at the top of some metal steps - basically at the height of a typical loading dock. On the door, a piece of 8-1/2 x 11 paper with the TubeDepot logo taped to the inside of the door's window. Other than the numbered address, this was the only indication of the business that went on inside.

Through the door I entered into medium-large foyer, similar to a reception area you might find for a large warehouse or a small factory. To the left were file cabinets with several Christmas cards displayed on top. In one corner, there was an industrial style desk arrangement with a computer. A large photo of Led Zeppelin standing next to their Boeing 707, and a Guitars calendar adorned the wall. To the right was a large plate glass window that covered most of the wall. A guy was busily working at a desk and computer, and looked to be constantly talking on the phone - perhaps taking orders and answering questions. Next to the window hung a large Sovtek poster of a large tube.

Looking forward from the entrance, between the desk in the corner and the plate glass window on the right, was a large entryway - you could see rows and rows of large plastic bins to the right, and the backs of red "GE" and other tube testers on a counter in front.

After a few moments, a guy came out and greeted me. "Can I help you?" he asked.

I said, "Excuse me - you don't really have a store front, do you? I was in town briefly visiting relatives and as a satisfied customer, I'd thought I would come by."

"No problem," he replied, "Were you interested in some tubes?"

"Of course!" I said. He proceeded to graciously help me for about the next half-hour. I would mention a tube number that I was interested in, he would look it up on their website - perhaps for a bin location - then go back in the warehouse area among the bins. After a few seconds, he would come back to the desk with one of the bins. The bins were of the modern, colored plastic variety - yellow and perhaps 1-1/2 feet long, and 1 foot tall and wide. Each bin was chock-full of tubes in their original boxes of the type I was requesting - 12AE6A and 12FK6 for my Milletts; 5963, 5814, and 6189 for the 12AU7 SOHA, and 6GM8 for Head-Fi user dsavitsk's new MEHA design.

As he looked up these tubes on their website, I gathered that they had separate bins for each category of tubes. For instance, where they might have a separate listing for RCA clear-top 12AU7's, those would be in their own bins. Not endowed with a limitless wallet, I was taking the opportunity to have him help me look for the no-name, more obscure tube numbers - instead of the expensive, mainstream varieties. Regardless, he was cheerful the entire time, and would place the whole bin on the desk for me to peruse.

Raytheon, ITT, Westinghouse, Arcturus, Bendix, JAN, and many others - all mixed in with the familiar GE, RCA, and Sylvania and TungSol! Tube brands were available I never knew existed. When I had a specific interest, he would open that particular tube box and let me look at the tube construction - mica spacers, getter construction, etc.

I picked out various and sundry mainstream and off-brands, then got a couple of sockets to boot. While printing up the receipt, he said, "OK - let me take all these back and test them for you." Wow - all while I waited. He took my standard debit card and completed the sale. I was already in the system from previous purchases.

On the way out, he thanked me for my business, handed me a few business cards, and asked me to tell my friends. "Well, I don't have any that I speak to in person about tubes, but I'll definitely post on the forums about this visit!"

He replied, "OK - that's great, too - thank you very much!"

A singular, enjoyable experience - all the way around. I highly recommend this tube vendor.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

EDIT: updated with business card:
TDcard1a.jpg
TDcard2a.jpg

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 18
Thank you for the tour! I love going through tube bins. Sounds like a great guy to deal with.

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 18
That's cool, thank you! I'm from the northeast, and would honestly be (very) afraid to ask for the same type of consideration - seeing as we have a bit of a different type of disposition, and all... - if I walked into a warehouse around here! I'd probably get my head ripped off. I think southerners may be nicer. Or, maybe it's audio people that may be nicer...

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Sweet, I was just going to place an order for some Gold Pin Teslas from there.

cool.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 18
Good writeup. Well done.

I have had only positive experiences with "tube depot" in the past also. Nice look behind the web site you've provided here!

Thanx~

P.S.... I would like to see TubeDepot become a sponsor here alongside the other sponsors we trade with, for our headamps tube needs as well as our other applications.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 18
Nice story! I've always thought that there might be a good book for audiophiles about the hunt for tubes tube dealers go through. I guess allot of it happens on the web now days though, but they still have to go to some pretty out of the way places and dusty warehouses to find the stuff we crave. Well, thanks for the post.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 18
Ditto!

My experience - quick responses to questions, quick shipments, and quick resolution of issues with tubes!

Highly recommended!

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 18
I have always had good experiences dealing with them. Thanks for the behind the scenes look. Kind of wondered if he was some guy working out of his bedroom or garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto!

My experience - quick responses to questions, quick shipments, and quick resolution of issues with tubes!

Highly recommended!

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Man i have the wrong job. How many of us would love to be a "Tone Consultant?" I know I would! Nice to put a face to that internet store, good job!

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man i have the wrong job. How many of us would love to be a "Tone Consultant?" I know I would! Nice to put a face to that internet store, good job!

Thanks.

Yeah, it's just my guess, but I suppose that rock stars/other musicians come in, or even call from the production studio (several of which are in Memphis or in nearby Nashville - of course!) - searching for a particular sound. Based on the Tube Depot's recommendations, they might then purchase hundreds of tubes.

It's nice to know they are patient with the onesie-twosies.

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 18
Well, I went to the well once too often (twice?). In to visit relatives for just two days from Atlanta, I was looking forward to another visit to Tube Depot in Memphis. It's especially nice to visit in person, because you can easily see all the brands they have to pick from - many times ones you didn't even know existed. After horrendous traffic coming into Memphis from Atlanta, there was about an hour an a half left on Friday before Tube Depot closed. Saturday they were closed and I was leaving Sunday, so this was it.

Parking outside, I walked up the steps and checked the signs on the door to make sure I was at the right place - it had been a year, after all. What struck me as unusual was a sign on the door that said "Visits by Appointment Only."

Uh-oh - funny that I never saw anything like that on their website. I wonder if it was the result of my posting this thread last year?

Well, I went in and they immediately said - "Sorry, we're too busy - if you had only called."

"I tried," I said - only their line had been busy and the voice mail came on - what was I going to say - "I'm stuck in traffic somewhere between Alabama and Mississippi, but I really want to visit your store, only I may be there at 3, 5, or 7 PM?" Besides, who knew they needed appointments, now? Continuing, I said, "I drove from Atlanta, though, and I won't be back for another year."

"You didn't come all the way from Atlanta just to see Tube Depot, did you?"

"No - I'm here for Christmas to see relatives."

"Well, we're too busy - why don't you come back Monday?"

"I'm leaving Sunday and you're not open tomorrow. I won't be back for another year."

"Sorry - if you had just called us. You can't come in one hour before closing on the last day of the year and expect us to wait on you."

I still don't understand that one - how could I come back on Monday if that was the last day of the year for them? I guess it's not totally fair to expect them to wait on me (it's not a self-service operation), but I'm not used to seeing anyone involved in retail turning someone away. I even showed them the business card they gave me last year, but to no avail.

Merry Christmas, Tube Depot.
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 18
That's too bad. Sounds like they aren't too hungry any longer but even if they aren't, customer care is what it is all about and it seems they could have shown a little more compassion. What if you had got through, where they going to turn other people away for your appointment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back