tubed cd-player to tubed amp redundant?
Jun 24, 2005 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nutcracker

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, is it redundant to connect a tubed cd-player, like shanling cd-t200, to a tubed amplifyer like raptor? or is having both source and amp tubed translate to even better performance? thanks

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker
Hi folks, is it redundant to connect a tubed cd-player, like shanling cd-t200, to a tubed amplifyer like raptor? or is having both source and amp tubed translate to even better performance? thanks

A good tubed source > good tubed amp =
icon10.gif

I've used a modified Shanling an Audio Aero Capitole MKII, and at present an Audio Aero Prima SE DAC, into different Singlepower amps, and an
RKV amp and was happy with the results.

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 5
You would think that having tubes in both the source and the amp might overwhelm the sound with overblown tube colouration, low extension, sloppy bass etc, however in practise this is not really the case. Tubes in one component seem to complement other tubes in the chain, and the result is a diminishing of grain and more of whats good about tubes
biggrin.gif

In my speaker rig, i run a tubed dac into a tube preamp (then into a SS mosfet poweramp section) to very nice effect.

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Having both source and amp tubed translates into preserving the "tube" sound signature in your system (providing the interconnects are not too bright).

Adding a "warm" tube component with a bright component would result in losing the "warmth".

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 5
I also have a tubed cd player and a tube amp and totally agree with the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back