Tube substitutes
Mar 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
First off, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so if it needs to be moved....

I have limited experience with tubes, limited to the tube amps that I own, so I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to help me out here.

A friend of mine is a watchmaker. He owns a watch timing apparatus from the 1950's which happens to use tubes. He has been using the same set of tubes since...well...forever and, of course, I suggested he keep a set of tubes on hand as back-ups. He agreed and provided me with a list of tube nubers he found on the chassis of the equipment.

- E80CF
- E81CC (x3)
- PL5727
- E84L (x2)

There is one other tube that he was having a hard time with. I'll have to look at the tube and see if it is etched with a number.

Anyway, are the above listed tubes commonly used in audio? If so, I imagine the price goes up. Also, is an E81CC the same as an ECC81?...is and E84L the same as an EL84?...is an E80CF the same as an ECF80? Are there any current production equivalent tubes that he could use, say, for around $5-10?

Remember, this is a non-audio application. He merely needs tubes that meet the specs for these tubes and not necessarily top-notch audio tubes.

Thanks in advance for any help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 6
You can find the answer to all of those questions here: TDSL Tube search

The E84L is similar to, but not exactly the same as the EL84.
The E81CC is basically a 12AT7.

The other two are not common tubes as far as I can tell, with no listed subs.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I know there are many sites that do tube sub, but I'm always thinking that they are missing something. I also have a tube sub book from the late '60s, but didn't have it with me when I posted (from work). I also wanted to get some real-world input from experienced folks. I suppose I just trust you guys more than any other site because of the collective experience of the membership here.

Thanks for the response.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I hear yah, I also use the book "Tube Substitution Handbook", V2, in addition to those sites. But it didn't yield any additional info about the two less common tubes you listed.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Actually the Tube Substitution Handbook did have a *little* information:

E80CF = 7643 (still not a tube I am familiar with)

The PL5727 wasn't even listed in the Handbook.

FYI/FWIW

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Tech2;3935015 said:
First off, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so if it needs to be moved....

- E80CF: information and substitutes may be found here
- E81CC (x3): information and substitutes may be found here
- PL5727: information and substitutes may be found here
- E84L (x2): information and substitutes may be found here and here

Some of these links are also sources for purchase. As Skylab says the E84L may not be exactly the same as an EL84, however the links above do list it as a substitute. It may be fine for your friend's non-audio application but I cannot guarantee that. Maybe email the listing site for more info. Aloha.:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back