Tube Rolling W/Supra SDS & R10 - A brief test
Sep 25, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 20
Regarding the question of running a tube "a lot harder that it needs to be run", it's worthwhile if it results in a substantial improvement in sound. I noticed a significant improvement when using the high voltage setting, versus the lower voltage setting. So, even if it shortens tube life slightly, that's acceptable to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
... IMO running something like a 6sn7 GT at 400V is just running the tube alot harder than it needs to be run.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Regarding the question of running a tube "a lot harder that it needs to be run", it's worthwhile if it results in a substantial improvement in sound. I noticed a significant improvement when using the high voltage setting, versus the lower voltage setting. So, even if it shortens tube life slightly, that's acceptable to me.

I agree. But I wouldn't just run a tube harder because you can. FOr example with the 6BL7GT, I feel at 300V and a 30ma bias it's fine. But at 375V+ I think it's just too fat sounding. That being said, for me there's also the cost of the tube. Honestly even if it sounded better, if I was running something like a 6sn7w metal base I'd try to get as much usage out of it as I could. Of course for my tastes I've found fairly cheap tubes that work just as well if not better than the 6sn7 equivalents.

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 20
Forgive me for popping in so late, but i just heard the Supra at RMAF and am working through the emotional crisis of a stingy person spending almost $3000 for almost anything. Please bear with me.

Mikhail said something to me about dual voltage. Without asking further, I just assumed he meant 6 and 12 Volts. My understanding is that the 12SN7 is identical to the 6SN7, but runs at 12 volts.

Now, i am reading here about using a 6SN7 on a high voltage setting and I am wondering, why not use a 12SN7 if the two are identical designs except for the voltage?

Can someone help me out here in my confusion.

Won't the 12SN7 sound better?

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89
Forgive me for popping in so late, but i just heard the Supra at RMAF and am working through the emotional crisis of a stingy person spending almost $3000 for almost anything. Please bear with me.

Mikhail said something to me about dual voltage. Without asking further, I just assumed he meant 6 and 12 Volts. My understanding is that the 12SN7 is identical to the 6SN7, but runs at 12 volts.

Now, i am reading here about using a 6SN7 on a high voltage setting and I am wondering, why not use a 12SN7 if the two are identical designs except for the voltage?

Those are heater voltages.He may also mean plate voltage which can be set at 450v for tubes like the 6BL7 and 6BX7

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89

6 or 12 volts refers to the tubes heater voltage. When you are talking high voltage you are referring to the amps internal B+ power supply. The B+ supply is 300 volts standard .... or 375-425 at the high voltage setting.

You can add a seperate filament power supply for 12 volts and use 12sn7's. I have one amp wired so I can use a 6 or 12 volt gain tube while the output tubes remain at 6 volts .... and two amps that run all three tubes at 12 volts or all three at 6 volts. This 12 volt option works like a charm. IMO .... the best tubes at high voltage are the 6 volt 6bl7gt/a and 6bx7gt's .... if you are using low impedence headphones. With high impedence headphones senn 580/600/650, for example, 6/12sn7's have plenty of power.
580smile.gif

Regarding your 12sn7 question .... I personally like the 12sn7 better than the 6sn7. Why? I think the same 12sn7 tube sounds equally good but is quieter when run at 12 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back