Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Mar 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #106 of 317
I was going to mention that too--I had read a few posts saying how much heat the amp put out. But after 5 or so hours today the amp was barely luke-warm.

I don't have a Sylvania to try, but I'll swap in the cleartop or one of the other RCA/GEs I have and give it a try.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #107 of 317
im listening to ad743jn on a browndog + a brimar ecc82 right now, and im really loving it. I threw the old OPA275 in for a few minutes and the 743's where way better, at least with the Brimar tube, though it could be that the 743's just synergize with the brimar alot better. My amp does get pretty warm, but it runs for days on end with no problems so I don't worry about the heat to much.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #108 of 317
What voltage are you guys running on? As I'm running 220v with stock Sylvania tube, and the whole thing goes scalding hot in hours.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #112 of 317
110 V - My EF1 with RCA cleartop never got hot, only moderately warm.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #113 of 317
220V here and the EF1 is quite hot, but that is fine with me since the weather is cold
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #114 of 317
How do you remove the plexiglass cover anyway? The screws look like they require microscopic allen wrenches to remove but I can't find anything in the tool chest that works.

Edit: Nevermind, finally found one small enough to fit.

I just swapped in the LM4562 I had sitting around from my Prelude, and it is slightly more detailed and clean, and slightly attenuated the bass (this is a good thing with the pro 900
biggrin.gif
), but is not anemic like it sounded in the Prelude's output stage. I would say it is worthwhile if you have one laying around like I did, and it doesn't interfere with the sound quality like TheBigD was experiencing with the OPA627/AD8620. Upon further listening, I think this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you like the OP275 sound but want something more refined.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #115 of 317
The stock socket on my amp was a little reamed out and op amp chips were not locking in tight. So I got some better sockets and my roommate who is much better with a solering tool pulled out the old socket and put a new one in. we also evaluated the soldering joints on the board and there were alot of poor welds on it so he touched up the whole board. we also noticed they only used 22 guage wire off the rca jack in back and the holes on the board are meant for 16 guage so i am getting some 16 guage to replace that. Everything sounds really rock solid now, there was a small amount of grain in the lower mid area that is now completely gone. Also now the stacked sockets I use for the moon or any op-amp now are rock solid.

The moon fully burnt in I believe is much better than stock now with very clean detail, the midrange smoothed out a bit and the bass extension improved, and the highs have always been good. It just seems that the music is much more fluid and enjoyable with the moon unit over stock.

My replacement earth should be here in the next couple of days, and i will be interested in burning that in and seeing how it does.

I got my d7000 today so it will be interesting to see how all the tubes and hdams match up with them, right now I prefer moon/sylvania to moon/tung sol and of course tried the stock chip for a minute and it sounds slow and muddy.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #116 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock socket on my amp was a little reamed out and op amp chips were not locking in tight. So I got some better sockets and my roommate who is much better with a solering tool pulled out the old socket and put a new one in. we also evaluated the soldering joints on the board and there were alot of poor welds on it so he touched up the whole board. we also noticed they only used 22 guage wire off the rca jack in back and the holes on the board are meant for 16 guage so i am getting some 16 guage to replace that. Everything sounds really rock solid now, there was a small amount of grain in the lower mid area that is now completely gone. Also now the stacked sockets I use for the moon or any op-amp now are rock solid.

Sounds interesting, luckily I don't have any grain because otherwise I'd be out $300
biggrin.gif
. (Every time I try to solder something audio-related I ruin it)

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #117 of 317
Just when i had decided the rca cleartop was my least favorite tube, I started listening to it again last night with d7000 and it synergizes very well with them. Lots of dynamic energy low end has alot of snap and there is a nice bit of sprarkle in the high end. with my 701s, i find the rca fatigueing with its extended top end, but not a problem with d7000.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #118 of 317
I received my EF1 this week and have put about 80hrs of burn-in on it. There are some things I love about this amp's stock sound signature (the mids are fantastic) but some faults, for my own particular tastes, that I would like to correct. I hope someone here can help.

For me, the stock sound is not well defined. The music often starts to become a wall of sound with voices and instruments overlapping instead of having their own space on a black background. The notes/voices seem too wide and are also soft around the edges.

Too describe it a different way it is like turning off crossfeed after being used to having it on. The music seems to stretch into a wider, less defined space.

As a result, the overall effect is a generally - for me - uninvolving sound with lack of PRAT. It's too polite if you will.

I also feel that the bass is rolled-off at the very bottom end and lacks a little slam and texture down there around 62Hz.

I have not seen these comments elsewhere, could mine have some sort of anomaly? I suspect not, so I'll try tube rolling.

Can someone recommend a tube that will:
Add definition and a more black background (my biggest concern)
Add bass extension and a (mild) boost to the slam.
Keep most/all of the awesome mids of the stock tube (if possible).

I have a 110V amp with the stock CONN/RCA tube and D5000 HP's.

Willing to try opamp swaps as well if anyone can help me with that. I have zero experience with it.

TIA everyone,

-LB

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #119 of 317
tube newbie here. Ordered one but how do you know what tube you can use?
I was recommended mullard long tube. Thinking it would be fun to have two tubes or it would be hard to tube roll I suspect
tongue.gif

Is all these the same or will some work on this amp and other not? How do you know which tubes that fits? mullard long plate, Electronics items on eBay.com

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #120 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tube newbie here. Ordered one but how do you know what tube you can use?
I was recommended mullard long tube. Thinking it would be fun to have two tubes or it would be hard to tube roll I suspect
tongue.gif

Is all these the same or will some work on this amp and other not? How do you know which tubes that fits? mullard long plate, Electronics items on eBay.com

I think what your looking for is an ECC82 (European version of the American 12AU7/A) or a 12AU7. Some of those are 12AX7, that you dont want. For long plate mullards, round getter or square it doesnt matter, both are great. Good tube to start with, save you a lot of hit or miss, you just cant go wrong with that tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back