Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #46 of 317
Just bought a long plate Mullard on eBay for $50 as part of a two tube listing with a Mullard gray plate, now I just need Head-Direct to ship me my amp
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #47 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a long plate Mullard on eBay for $50 as part of a two tube listing with a Mullard gray plate, now I just need Head-Direct to ship me my amp
biggrin.gif

So you have both a long and short plate?

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #49 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my understanding, yes. The description lists them as 17mm and 14mm plates.

d83a_1.JPG

Very nice, and a good buy as well, you should have fun with those.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #50 of 317
My AD743JN kit came in today and it sounds noticeably smoother than the stock OPA275. Tried the JJ ECC82 for a bit and just wasn't liking it that much. My Conn branded Sylvania still wins, vocals are much fuller and wow'ing with the Sylvania. Has anyone tried the different Mullard tubes that are compatible? I am debating between the CV4003, long-plate, and short-plate tubes and was wondering if there's a big difference between them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #51 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AD743JN kit came in today and it sounds noticeably smoother than the stock OPA275. Tried the JJ ECC82 for a bit and just wasn't liking it that much. My Conn branded Sylvania still wins, vocals are much fuller and wow'ing with the Sylvania. Has anyone tried the different Mullard tubes that are compatible? I am debating between the CV4003, long-plate, and short-plate tubes and was wondering if there's a big difference between them.

Yes they are different. Do I know which one will work best for you? Nope. I do have the short plate and its warm, has a nice strong bass, very smooth mids and highs. Im hoping the long plates I have on the way will sound simalar but present more of a sparkle in the highs. The Telefunken is nice. Kinda like a mullard with more mid and high end sparkle.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #52 of 317
The EF1 finally came in today, and I cannot wait to try it. Using a Marantz CD5001 as the souce and CON branded Sylvania tube, the first thing I noticed is that now I get a lot of bass, tight bass (when comparing to listening from the headphone output of the CD player, which is quite good but not satisfying me), almost a "wow" there. However, for female vocals (slow ballad or jazz), I really cannot tell an improvement over unamped sound from the HP output, far from the sweet mids I am looking for. Then for classical (where I am really unsatistified with unamped), there seems to be a slightly larger soundstage, but still that muffled sound. Now I tell myself be patient, give it some time to break in and wait for the new tube (I have an Amperex on the way). Will see what may change late.

Btw, I got two "stupid" questions. First, I found it is difficult to insert the tube. Is that how it is designed - the tube will not be fully inserted? I was just afraid to push it hard into the base at the begining, though I eventually did. Second, to break it in, shall I just leave the tube on all night? The tube got warmer and I am not sure how warm it could be if leaves it on all night.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #54 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EF1 finally came in today, and I cannot wait to try it. Using a Marantz CD5001 as the souce and CON branded Sylvania tube, the first thing I noticed is that now I get a lot of bass, tight bass (when comparing to listening from the headphone output of the CD player, which is quite good but not satisfying me), almost a "wow" there. However, for female vocals (slow ballad or jazz), I really cannot tell an improvement over unamped sound from the HP output, far from the sweet mids I am looking for. Then for classical (where I am really unsatistified with unamped), there seems to be a slightly larger soundstage, but still that muffled sound. Now I tell myself be patient, give it some time to break in and wait for the new tube (I have an Amperex on the way). Will see what may change late.

Btw, I got two "stupid" questions. First, I found it is difficult to insert the tube. Is that how it is designed - the tube will not be fully inserted? I was just afraid to push it hard into the base at the begining, though I eventually did. Second, to break it in, shall I just leave the tube on all night? The tube got warmer and I am not sure how warm it could be if leaves it on all night.

Something from Hollard would be nice for your classical (Amperex) and a Mullard (England) or Telefunken (Germany) for your jazz should work well.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #55 of 317
Quote:

Give the amp 150 hours of break-in (burn-in) with music playing from the time you get home in the afternoon until you leave for work or school in the morning. Turn it off when you leave and give it a rest, then repeat the process when you get back home.

You can insert the tube more fully by gently rocking it a little as you press down, but it will only go in less than 1/2 inch.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #56 of 317
Assume that I don't need to plug in the headphone for the break-in, stupid question again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the amp 150 hours of break-in (burn-in) with music playing from the time you get home in the afternoon until you leave for work or school in the morning. Turn it off when you leave and give it a rest, then repeat the process when you get back home.

You can insert the tube more fully by gently rocking it a little as you press down, but it will only go in less than 1/2 inch.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #57 of 317
Quote:

Assume that I don't need to plug in the headphone for the break-in, stupid question again.

Yes, you do, or no current passes through the paths you are burning-in.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #58 of 317
Thanks! OK, let me take time to break in both amp and headphone (also new).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you do, or no current passes through the paths you are burning-in.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #59 of 317
i got my mullard great britain today, and i think it's my favorite tube so far. everything is really warm and smooth, very pleasant sounding. it's less bright (in a good way) than the rca cleartop and the bass seems a little nicer too.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #60 of 317
My roommate has been kind enough to lend me his denon d5000 to audition since I am waiting for my d7000 to arrive. so ive been obsesively listening to most anything with bass, Korn, Disturbed, etc. and swapping tubes to see the difference. I was really surprised by how low the sylvania tube digs into the music! Never heard this with my akg 701. The bass is delivered with real authority and aggression. the midrange is a little vieled though. I had to go order a tung sol black glass on skylabs reccomendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back