Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Feb 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 317
Thanks again, olblueyes! Just saw the chart you quoted from tubeworld, Amperex 7316 and Mullard are listed in the same category for warm/rich/smooth, just wonder why you say "they compliment each other" .

btw, how about that used Mullard on ebay?

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again, olblueyes! Just saw the chart you quoted from tubeworld, Amperex 7316 and Mullard are listed in the same category for warm/rich/smooth, just wonder why you say "they compliment each other" .

btw, how about that used Mullard on ebay?

Trust me, they are not the same, no two tubes on that list sound the same yet they are all jammed into 4 catagories. My Telefunken is listed with the Mullard also and it is articulate and detailed, so the chart has cut a fart!

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 317
Y'know, I have a pair of Telefunken ECC82's but have never tried it in the EF1. I need to do that...I founf it to be smooth but a little uninvolving in my phono preamp, but it might be great in the EF1.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else have anything to say about the Telefunken Smooth Plate tubes? Based on olblueyez's description it seems like a tubbe that would match well with Ultrasone headphones.

Yeah, for me its got the mullard bass minus some silk in the mids and nice airy highs, nice for a dark headphone and or rig. If you have a bright rig with 701's or something like that then I think the mids come across as slightly rough unless you have something to balance it out like I have, I use the Sylvania GB drivers that are smoooooth and warm to compensate. A warm copper interconnect or headphone cable would work nice with that tube as well.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 317
my rca cleartop is nice but sometimes a bit bright and harsh, and i'm not sure if i'm getting that really nice "tube sound" everyone keeps talking about. should i give the mullard great britain a try? i also have the sylvania that it came with i think, but i'm not sure if im noticing a great difference between the two.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my rca cleartop is nice but sometimes a bit bright and harsh, and i'm not sure if i'm getting that really nice "tube sound" everyone keeps talking about. should i give the mullard great britain a try? i also have the sylvania that it came with i think, but i'm not sure if im noticing a great difference between the two.

Mullard short or long plates (As long as its made in England) is what you want. Take a good look at them here www.TubeWorld.com and then make sure the structure is the same when buying on ebay. You should be able to get 1 for 30 or 40 bucks or a long plate for roughly double that.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #24 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mullard short or long plates (As long as its made in England) is what you want. Take a good look at them here www.TubeWorld.com and then make sure the structure is the same when buying on ebay. You should be able to get 1 for 30 or 40 bucks or a long plate for roughly double that.

hmm, cool thanks. what's the difference between short plates and long plates? also the amp was only $200 for me. will spending 40 or 80 dollars or so on a different tube make a significant difference in the sound? i don't have much experience with tube rolling as this is my first amp, so i'm just not sure what to expect in terms of difference of quality and sound signature.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #25 of 317
Where are you all buying your tubes? I've been checking eBay but the auctions for the Mullards get sky high and I'm not sure half the time if the reported measurements are reliable or even important so I've been hesitant on pulling the trigger. I keep expecting to get scammed since I'm such a noob with the tubes world.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #26 of 317
I got my topkit in from hiflight, nice kit. Im listening to it now, first impressions is the Opamp's are an improvement, seem to have better separation and a blacker background, more details and more soundstage. The tube, needs more burn in but in my setup i have not been overly impressed with the JJ yet, i'll give it more time, im listening to it with a NOS Brimar right now and im really enjoying it.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 317
my impression is that there are two different versions, one with an easily changeable opamp and one without. i don't really know anything about opamps, how can i tell which version i have? i'm the second owner, but i think the guy i bought it from got it in december 08

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 317
the december 08 version has the swappable op-amp. It's easy to tell, the op-amp is a small chip with 8 legs, it sits in a socket right next to the gold heatsink, and it says "OPA 275" on it in small text.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #29 of 317
further listening, I really don't like the JJ tube. Perhaps it just does not synergize with my setup, which is very warm. The RCA cleartop does not make my system sibilant or bright either. Of the 4 tubes I own for this amp, the JJ is my least favorite, the AD743's are sounding wonderful though, that's a real upgrade. I've got a Mullard and Thorn (brimar) and the RCA cleartop. I think the brimar is my favorite, but all 3 sound good in their own ways, no clear winner really, just different flavors.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #30 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocoolie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you all buying your tubes? I've been checking eBay but the auctions for the Mullards get sky high and I'm not sure half the time if the reported measurements are reliable or even important so I've been hesitant on pulling the trigger. I keep expecting to get scammed since I'm such a noob with the tubes world.

I would not worry so much if the numbers are exactly the same but rather that they are closer to "NEW" than not.

I just got a pair of long plates tonight for 55 bucks. The deals are out there.

Pair Heath/Mullard ECC82/12AU7 Long Plates! - eBay (item 140300571302 end time Feb-14-09 15:31:15 PST)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back