Tube Roller, Musical Fidelity 308 CDP
Jun 20, 2002 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Tube
I remember recently you said you saw this unit at audio show and pre-odered one as soon as they are available. I am hearing rumors.

I WANT ONE!

The MF A3.2 just released improves upon 3 yr old A3 but I'm afraid will not unseat my A3/Bel Canto Dac 1.1 combo. The Bel Canto Dac 2 is serious consideration and cheaper alternative, but I'm sure the transport of yet to be released 308 is a real upgrade from A3.

I have heard rumors that the MF 308 CDP is "son of nu-vista" (3D CDP supposedly last nu-vista product ever) and also will be released with "son of nu-vista" integrated, projected cost is 3-4k each (is this correct?). Release date unknown, but what can you tell us about 308?
-how does it look
-does it have volume control
-does it play SACD
-can it be my last CDP I'll ever need?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 9
in my Pics from the NY audio show you can see it in pic 30.It is the only CDP in the picture and it's huge.It is a redbook only player but has the exact same upsampling,choke regulation and a discreet output stage as the NU-Vista 3D.In the literature MF even goes so far as to say that some may find the 308 preferable to the Nu-Vista.Their words not mine.Price is $3,000.00.There is no volume control but there is a output level control.I'll try to take a pic of the flyer I was given at the show.i haven't heard anything else about the delivery date yet but I'm patient.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Sounds great, I keep in touch with my man Galen Carol in texas
for MF products now, seems all North American MF shipments are currently handled by Kevro distributor in Canada.

Looking at your pics, yes it does look very similar to Nu-vista 3D CDP, probably same case and dimensions. It looks to be setting on that new "son of nu-vista" integrated, wow look at that center control dial!

Jun 20, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I noticed while flipping through the pictures that there's a portable battery pack for the EMP! Holy cow I want one now.

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 9
DarkAngel -- not to derail this thread, but thought I should mention two things:

the new MF monoblocks aren't choke regulated (forgot where I read that, but it was in one of the British classical music magazines, like Gramophone, in the equipment section).

They're revamping the A3^CR pre-amp and power amps. Does yours have a remote? Look under A3.2 series:

http://www.musical-fidelity.co.uk/manual/index.html

They don't list the 308 CDP yet, but they have the CD-Pre^24 listed in a section called "308 series". Is that the same thing? Looks like it. (wipes brow) Okay, good, they're not completely insane...

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 9
WOW, what ddid they do hire a couple new designers at MF? Look at all those new products! Looking at MFs product manual page shows future products but no design details.

The entire A3 line of products has been replaced by the new A3.2
line, Stereophile just reviewed A3.2 CDP current issue. Yes current A3 preamp has full remote control.

Then there is new higher end line of products the 308 series, details not yet available but Tuberoller has seen the CDP and Integrated (son of nu-vista) and he pre-ordered the 308 CDP.
I think the mono blocks are part of the 308 series, but not sure.
The 308 CDP is different unit from CD PRE

I have seen no reviews yet, other than Tellig's review of A3.2 CDP and he failed to mention if it was choke regulated, but the new A3 24 Dac is choke regulated. I would be surprised if the new units were not choke regulated but who knows?

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 9
When I was at the show I was told about a new "Trivistor" tube lineup that was to be debuted in the next few months.I don't know anything else about that.The A3.2 is not choke regulated.I borrowed the A3 24 dac and have just installed it in my system.My guess is that it needs a lot of burn in,cause it sounds very harsh right now.I only have it for a week so I have left it playing for the last 48hrs.I'll offer some impressions later.I was told by the Kevro rep that I should not use any type of conditioner with this unit or any of the other MF choke regulated units.I did replace the power cord with a Harmonic Tech I have on hand.When I first heard an A3 about two years ago I wasn't impressed and the dealer that had them was really honest with me in expressing his lack of enthusiam about the MF line up back then as well.The new MF lineup is just fantastic.I don't know what they have learned in the last few years but the difference in the sonics of their current vs.their previous products is vast.I contend that the MF gear is the best digital I have so far heard.I really want to see what they can do with an SACD player.If you guys have seen some of the pics I have taken from the three stereo shows I have been to in the last year you know I have heard lots of gear and have auditioned much of it in my systems.I have had all three of the Cary players in my system,I have heard the two latest Krell players,all the NAD,Meridian,Arcam,Roskan,BAT,one Naim player,I have owned a AH!4000,a Marantz SACD,A cambridge D500SE,and have an MSB DAC with all the user installable upgrades including upsampling and the upgraded power supplies.I have also owned a ART DIO and many other CDPs and a few other DACs.Musical Fidelity simply does digital better than anyone else right now.the NU-Vista 3D is the best standard CDP I have ever heard and the 308 is damn close.The A3.2 that was pictured in the system with the monoblocs was a close third.I hate that the stuff is so expensive but the best always is.I cannot wait until I get the 308.I have rarely been this hyped about getting a piece of gear.

The exact qoute from the literature for the M250 Monoblocs:
The newly developed Musical Fidelity M250 250W mono-bloc amplifier was designed for home theatre,multi-channel or two-channel applications.The M250 is a neat,tidy,FUNKY mono block amplifier with huge power.The circuitry is basically the same as the NU-Vista M3 but with slightly less output current capacity.The front dimensions are 7.5 inches wide and about 5 inches in height.

The M250 has a loop output allowing easy bi-amping while the custom extruded chassis ia designed for easy stacking making bi-amping an easy option.The automatic sensing circuit will switch the amplifier on as soon as it semses any signal above 10mv.If no signal is recieved for 15 minutes,the amplifier will automatically go into standby mode.e

The M250 is also fitted with a trigger sensing circuit,which has a trigger loop output for triggering other units from the same signal and will operate from any standard trigger signal

The Musical Fidelity M250 is extremely powerful and clean.It will drive almost any loudspeaker to almost any acoustic level.It provides enormous flexibility,ease of use,ease of installation and great value for the money. Cost $1195.00 EACH

I have been trying to get a pair to audition but they are currently sold out.They too sounded great.The wait is on

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Gramophone has news release announcing the new Musical Fidelity 308 line which includes CDP, preamp, amp:

MF 308 Series

I also notice MF website is under construction, perhaps preparing for adding 308 line. Tube do you have any further info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back