Tube Risers?
Sep 19, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
I am about to start building a Millett MAX. I was wondering if there is an easy solution for tube risers? I'd love to show off the tubes. I do not want to mount them on the lid, but just may be about 5-10mm higher.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Some random thoughts:

You might be able to use standoffs and hang a regular solder lug socket from the top. You'd have two bolts through the top plate though. If you're real careful you might be able to mount the same kind of socket (solder lug) to standoffs by drillling holes in the board for the standoffs (but I would definitely consult Tomb here as I don't know how that might affect the PCB.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 10
You could just put the socket on stilts made from small diameter metal tubing.

I don't know that you'll find 'em for 7 pin sockets, but you can get "socket savers" that are just a male to female wedge that you bolt into a socket in your tube tester - so that you wear out the contacts in the part that's easy to replace instead of the socket that came with the tester.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 10
There aren't many options to do what you ask. The best one may be to solder "stilts" on the sockets. As a matter of fact, Voodoochile, our DIY section moderator, built an open cased version of the original Millett with ceramic sockets that had contacs about 2-3" long. It looked like the sockets were actually production, but it's hard to tell with Voodoochile's quality - he may have just made them like that himself.

EDIT: found the pic:
DSC01259.jpg

Don't ask me where he got those.
wink.gif

Other options are not really possible - the heat sinks can't be mounted under the board and be expected to work well. That limits how high up you can position the board in a case.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looked like the sockets were actually production, but it's hard to tell with Voodoochile's quality - he may have just made them like that himself.

I'm pretty sure that they were hand crafted bits that he made himself.

[edit]Vixr, I'd be a little concerned about the stability of those sockets only being supported by two points and the clamping force of the nuts. At a minimum on the top side instead of a nut I'd use an aluminum standoff to try and make the whole assembly more rigid.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 10
looks like there is no easy way. I though there would be a male -> female tube socket that I could plug into the soldered sockets on the PCB and raise it like that. Guess I'll just live with it

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 10
small 2mm thick metal plate that spans the width of the hammond and will slot into the top or penultimate slot. Cut 2 holes in it then drill x2 holes for the socket screws to hold it in place. Solder the contacts from the sockets to the board and then you'd be free to pick up the whole pcb-plate and socket combo, and slide them into the hammond.

Im probably going to do this, and for some help go over to the diyforums.org and search through the old millett picture thread (near end) for ferraris millett. Similar design to that.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like there is no easy way. I though there would be a male -> female tube socket that I could plug into the soldered sockets on the PCB and raise it like that. Guess I'll just live with it

Well there is. there's the 'socket saver' i mentioned and also 'test sockets' which are a tall male-to-female with probe points on the body for all the pins.

Just don't know that you'll find them for 7 pin tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back