Tube Recommendations - need to kick up the highs - Qinpu A3 (xpost from accessories)
Jun 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hunter9002

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Apologies for cross posting, I wasn't sure which subforum would reach the right people. Still new here.

Long time reader, first time poster. You guys have definitely taught me a lot about audio over the years.

Anyway, I was wondering if any tube amp owners could give me some advice as to what kinds of tubes I should be looking at to replace the stocks on my Qinpu A3.

Here is my setup:
Macbook via optical -> Nuforce Icon HDP amp/DAC -> Qinpu A3 -> Polk RTi4 Bookshelf Speakers

The Qinpu is providing a lot more detail than I'm used to. I believe it is accentuating the bass-yness of the Nuforce at the expense of dulling the high end. While the highs are still detailed and pleasant, they seem a little less emphatic than they should be. I'm looking for a tube that can give my highs an extra kick. Qinpu A3 takes two 6N3/5670/2c51 tubes.

As far as price, I'd love to go cheap, but I'm also curious what more expensive options are. Anything getting into three digits might be a bit much for me, though.

And as a side, yes, I know the Qinpu is also (primarily?) a headphone amp, but I am using it for my speakers, and so far it has been excellent. It seems the Nuforce is a better headphone amp, but I haven't done too much testing on that yet.

Any help is appreciated!

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Bump - Am I in the wrong forum?

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hey all,

Apologies for cross posting, I wasn't sure which subforum would reach the right people. Still new here.

Long time reader, first time poster. You guys have definitely taught me a lot about audio over the years.

Anyway, I was wondering if any tube amp owners could give me some advice as to what kinds of tubes I should be looking at to replace the stocks on my Qinpu A3.

Here is my setup:
Macbook via optical -> Nuforce Icon HDP amp/DAC -> Qinpu A3 -> Polk RTi4 Bookshelf Speakers

The Qinpu is providing a lot more detail than I'm used to. I believe it is accentuating the bass-yness of the Nuforce at the expense of dulling the high end. While the highs are still detailed and pleasant, they seem a little less emphatic than they should be. I'm looking for a tube that can give my highs an extra kick. Qinpu A3 takes two 6N3/5670/2c51 tubes.

As far as price, I'd love to go cheap, but I'm also curious what more expensive options are. Anything getting into three digits might be a bit much for me, though.

And as a side, yes, I know the Qinpu is also (primarily?) a headphone amp, but I am using it for my speakers, and so far it has been excellent. It seems the Nuforce is a better headphone amp, but I haven't done too much testing on that yet.

Any help is appreciated!

I don't know of any tubes that will kick up the high end anymore than the stock chinese ones.  They are pretty bright compared to other tubes.  The GE GL/JG 5670 tubes that I use are a bit warmer and certainly more refined than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back