Tube radio?
May 13, 2002 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I really want a tube radio! Preferabbly, an old one that I can find on ebay. Is there any hope for me? Any suggestions for brand/model?

May 13, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 8
If you are looking for a true table top tube radio then ebay may be the place to look.I think you may be dissappointed by the fidelity of some of the older radios.the reception quality of these radios varies greatly as well.Try Motorola,Grundig,RCA,Siemans,GE,Philco,Admiral,Zen ith,Halicrafters,Ambassador.Then there are the different available cabinets Wood,plastic ,bakelite.I would suggest you do some research but be prepared to spend lots of money and/or time to pursue this.I have a GE L-740 Deluxe from 1941 and Motorola 10t28m am/fm they both work and sound good and look wonderful but be warned parts are difficult to find and can cost a lot.Your best bet would be to buy a repro.

May 13, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 8
If you are looking for a true table top tube radio then ebay may be the place to look.I think you may be dissappointed by the fidelity of some of the older radios.the reception quality of these radios varies greatly as well.Try Motorola,Grundig,RCA,Siemans,GE,Philco,Admiral,Zen ith,Halicrafters,Ambassador.Then there are the different available cabinets Wood,plastic ,bakelite.I would suggest you do some research but be prepared to spend lots of money and/or time to pursue this.I have a GE L-740 Deluxe from 1941 and Motorola 10t28m am/fm they both work and sound good and look wonderful but be warned parts are difficult to find and can cost a lot.Your best bet would be to buy a repro.

May 15, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Do a book search on anything by Marty and Sue Bunis...they wrote some nice books on radio collecting.
I had two of their books but cannot find them now. One was one tube radios, the other on transistor radios.
I bought an old Blaupunkt in a shop and it only hummmmmmmmsssss.
There are antique radio groups all over the country. Buy the book then search ebay.
I just did an ebay search and it seems the book is out of print. I does list a reference by another author though.
This hobby is just as addictive as headphones. I bought a Panasonic loop radio(remember from the seventies?) for like sixty bucks. The expensive stuff is limited early models, catalin table tops(a form of bakelite) and real early shortwave.
My Blaupunkt is all tubes and let me tell you, even if it doesn't play it's kinda nice to see them things glowing!
Okay I found the book. "The Collectors Guide to Antique Radios".
Seems a guy named Susser did a fifth edition of this book. The Bunis' did look a little old in their pics. It's an excellent guide with some pics and model numbers. Also includes approximate values. My fourth edition was done in 1997. I assume the market has gone up in both tube and transistor so check it out.
luck to you,
md

May 15, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 8
sorry man,I'm working tonight so i could'nt get right back to you.try this linkPhil's Antique Radio .This guy has a very large index and lots of resto pics and advice.I have talked to him over the phone several times over the years and he is much more knowledgeable in this subject than I.I recently sold him some tubes and purchased some parts for a Fisher 800B receiver from him.he is a decent guy and he updates that site often.Good luck

May 15, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 8
know anything about the eico HFT-90? I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back