tube question for singlepower mpx3
Apr 20, 2004 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Are any of you familiar with sylvania 6sn7 gtb tubes? These have the black plates, top round getter and green lettering. I got some for my singlepower mpx3. I havent seen anyone comment on these. I scanned through most of Hirsch's singlepower tube rolling thread and I didnt see them mentioned. Anyone out there use them or have any links to their performance or characteristics? I know they are not a premium 6sn7 but I figured they would likely be better than a new stock tube like the EH 6sn7. I am heading over to AA to do a search now but any information is appreciated.

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 5
From the what I've heard anecdotally from some folks (including MPX3 owners), the EH 6SN7s are quite good. I've also read on Audio Asylum that the EHs are generally well-regarded. A search in the Tubes Asylum for "EH + 6SN7" will turn up enough threads about the EH 6SN7 to keep you busy for hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

D.

[size=xx-small]Edit: fixed the link[/size]

Apr 20, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Earl,
Quote:

Sylvania Green Label 6SN7GTB, rich harmonic structure, good midrange, decent soundstage

I found this quote on Tubeseller.com about the tubes you mentioned.
The link provides an interesting read about the performance of various 6SN7 tubes.
Quote:

posted by sacd lover
I have the stock EH tubes and they are ok. I wanted to know about the sylvania 6sn7 gtb. I find the EH tubes a little bright.

I find that a bit surprising as I find the stock EH tubes a bit bass heavy and rolled off on the top. This is when compared to Sylvania VT-231 (1944) tubes

Edit: doh...originally quoted the wrong tubes info

Apr 20, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 5
I am very sensitive to any brightness or glare. Brightness is often related to elevated upper mids and lower treble, not the uppermost treble. I rolled in a GE 6sn7 gta and this has made the overall sound a touch to dark. I am looking for something in between the eh tube and this sylvania gta. The eh tube is more dynamic but has a trace of hardness to the sound. The gta is a touch bland and the bass is less controlled. Part of the problem is the amp is still breaking in so the sound is changing soon after I react to the initial change. The amp has been running almost non-stop so the burn in should be over soon. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back