Tube Preamp into Solid State Headphone Amp
Aug 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 16
I did it as an experiment with my Darkvoice 336SE and my Emotiva a-100 and I didn't really like it very much. I don't think the pre-amp section on the DV is very well made, I got a hum that I didn't get using just the 1/4in on the front.

I couldn't really find a reason to justify the added complexity and the Emotiva went back to it's home in my bedroom.

I saw a little tube buffer stage on Massdrop for ~$40 and briefly considered it for use with the emotiva in my bedroom, but ultimately decided to pass.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 16
I did it as an experiment with my Darkvoice 336SE and my Emotiva a-100 and I didn't really like it very much. I don't think the pre-amp section on the DV is very well made, I got a hum that I didn't get using just the 1/4in on the front.

I couldn't really find a reason to justify the added complexity and the Emotiva went back to it's home in my bedroom.

I saw a little tube buffer stage on Massdrop for ~$40 and briefly considered it for use with the emotiva in my bedroom, but ultimately decided to pass.
Thanks for the reply. I’m going to be needing some vinyl so I’m mating my Croft Micro pre with the Schiit Asgard 1 to feed my HD650’s.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 16
I know people have used tube preamps into solid state speaker amps but I'm curious to hear impressions from those who have tube preamped their SS headphone amps.

One big question: why have two preamp stages in the same chain? When tube preamps are used wiht speaker power amps, the latter are just the amp stage, no preamps built in. Headphone amps are all integrated amps with their own preamp stage.

If all you want is a warmifying boombasticator with good current delivery then:

1. Maybe use a tube buffer like the MF X-10D. I think some Chinese brands still make similar devices. Check Yaqin.

2. Skip the SS amp entirely and just get a transformer-coupled tube amp, but choose one that colors the sound rather than shooting for "neutral but errs on slightly warm." Or heck even one that sounds like that on stock tubes might sound as you like with other tubes. Look up the WooAudio WA6 or WA6SE and check tube rolling threads on them.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 16
Lol! Love that line “ warmifying boombasticator”

Essentially my speakers setup is amazing and I want my headphones to connect and be driven by my phone stage Croft.

Do you think the Asgard would be a good match for a Tube Preamp that has transformers already?

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 16
Essentially my speakers setup is amazing and I want my headphones to connect and be driven by my phone stage Croft.

The headphone amp is what drives the headphones, same way that the power amp or integrated amp drives the speakers, and the phono stage doesn't actually drive any of them.

Do you think the Asgard would be a good match for a Tube Preamp that has transformers already?

In any case, if what you meant at the start by "preamp" is a tube phonostage and not a tube preamp controlling a power amp, then there's really no problem. It's the same thing as connecting that phono preamp to a preamp controlling a power amp or an integrated amplifier. Transformers on those aren't exactly functioning in the exact same way as, say, the output transformers and driver tubes on an amplifier, ie, you still get line level output.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 16
It’s a Tube phono / pre combined. But yeah I see where you’re going. There should be no issue, as the Asgard will be the power amp. I was just wondering if it would work well enough for the hd650.

Sounds like they would be ok? And thanks again for all your detailed help, this is amazing.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 16
It’s a Tube phono / pre combined. But yeah I see where you’re going. There should be no issue, as the Asgard will be the power amp. I was just wondering if it would work well enough for the hd650.

Sounds like they would be ok? And thanks again for all your detailed help, this is amazing.

Doesn't that phono preamp have a plain line output? Because if it uses an active preamp output you could send a too high voltage into the amp. Although you could set it really low but you still have two active preamps in the same chain.

If you can't bypass the active preamp output on the phono preamp then you can just get a speaker power amp and a converter cable so you can hook up the headphone drivers to the speaker power amp's output stage.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Sorry Protege: one more question!

Do you think the Asgard is a good pairing for the Hd6xx? I’m using this as a stopgap while I upgrade later on. Most likely going the Bottlehead route.

But is it a really bad amp for the HD650?

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Do you think the Asgard is a good pairing for the Hd6xx? I’m using this as a stopgap while I upgrade later on. Most likely going the Bottlehead route.

But is it a really bad amp for the HD650?

The Asgard doesn't really make it worse, but given it doesn't help the imaging, some people dislike how closed in the soundstage is. It also has a more aggressive sound, relatively.

As for the Bottlehead, it's an OTL amp, so low impedance, low sensitivity headphones aren't ideal for use with it, so that kind of restricts your headphone choices. Even the HD660S given its lower impedance that takes it out of the Crack's powerband as well as the lower sensitivity can be a little bit of a problem compared to using the HD650/600. If you're sure to use only the HD600 or HD650 then absolutely no problem; although from an ergonomics standpoint the cable sockets stickiing out on top is personally a PITA for my own preferences (not necessarily yours but if it is make sure to get the kit that has the sockets elsewhere).

Overall though I wouldn't mind using the Asgard, but if you can save up and wait, there's the Gilmore Lite Mk2 or the Meier Jazz FF. More flexible than OTLs and these aren't as closed in as the Asgard. Although if you like the sound of Naim gear the Asgard would be somewhat swinging towards that than those other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back