Tube or SS for classical music?
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:

You'd be surprised that even musicians get crazy too with the types of wood that they feel should be used or what brands for their cello and the kinds of strings as well. There is so much detail involved in the madness of creating music. Audiophiles are actually sane compared to many musicians. 

Music is insanity and we are insane too and there definitely is that crazy side to the details. Go to the guitar forums where guitarists discuss their gear and it may not be for the faint of heart brotha.

+1. If you think audiophiles are nuts with their overpriced cables, try instruments.   And forget guitars and jump straight to violins if you want the real cash-bleeding fun.  We're talking $100+ sets of strings that last for maybe 2-4 weeks before being considered "out of tonal balance."  And that's after months of seeking strings bright enough to compliment the dark wood.  Where only 200-year-old wood from a certain tree from a certain forest that may or may not have been illegal to export is the only wood that will suffice.  And then the bow must utilize the hair of the mystical unicorn, but not Finnish unicorns, only Norwegian ones will do.  But the unicorn's tail must be clipped only on Tuesdays.  And only before the first light of dawn.  Otherwise the lower registers have too much resonance. And then the humidity changes, and it all begins again.  And we won't talk about the box of carefully carved bridges for every possibly humidity level...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 34
It's part of their voice, it's a part of themselves, so it's not foolish, it's professionalism!
We on the other hand try to recreate that magical night at the opera inside our living room, so it's normal to spend a lil more than what we would have in a sony all in one hifi.

May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #33 of 34
Whenever I'm at a live classical recital, I always think, 'Wow, this sure does have a tube-sound to it!'.

And the best part about amps with distortion is never having to hear the music as those pesky musicians and audio engineers who recorded it originally intended.

I'm still waiting for a company to sell me something that will insert the sounds of muffled coughs, whispering between songs, and the distortions found in poor venues or from sitting far away and at sharp angles from the stage. You know, so's I can get that ultra-realistic concert experience from home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back