Tube Noob
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Alamo1836

New Head-Fier
I have a Little Dot MK2 on the way. I'm definitely not new to audio but, when it comes to tubes, I'm a simpleton.
My question is, will someone with experience recommend a decent set of power tubes? i have already bought a matched pair of Voskhod 6j1p-ev/6zh1p-ev for the input section, they came recommended. Also, I'm not trying to break the bank.
Partnering equipment is a Denafrips Enyo DAC connected to a Mac Mini, I'll pretty much be streaming Tidal. Of course the headphones are HD6XX and HD560s. My current amp is a Schiit Hersey. My musical tastes are extremely varied, I can go from Sepultura to Art Pepper :) Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 6
No thanks. This is why I hate forums
If you're going to ask something on a forum... at least be willing to use the forum to find some answers. Or ask your question in that thread. You'll definitely get more informed answers there. It's a whole resource dedicated to your question with people that have already done the experimenting.

Two minutes of skimming, I only went back two pages from the latest, and already there's thoughts on good power tubes, as well as an opinion that power tubes don't make much of a difference in this amp.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide.563884/page-893

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 6
If you ask ChatGPT to summarize that thread here's what comes back:

"The Little Dot Tube Amps Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide provides insights into tube rolling for Little Dot amplifiers. Here are the highly recommended power tubes for current production (2011) LD tube amps:

1. Chinese 6N6
  2. Russian 6H6P
  3. Russian 6H6P-I
  4. Sovtek 6H30EB
  5. Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold
  6. 6H30P-DR
These tubes offer various sonic characteristics, so experimentation is encouraged."

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back