tube noob
Apr 10, 2006 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title? kinda rhymes, no? Nonetheless, I want to check out this whole tube thing. Not only do I want to show off my audiophileness, but I want to know what all the fuss is about with tubes. I have been using SS for a while, and like the ease of use and love the transparency and the detail resolution. It is slightly dry sounding ( i guess...never tried a tube amp) and find the bass to be a bit light. luckily my SM3 bass boost gives a nice thump to my k240 and e4c. pretty much I want some people with experience to head me to articles, forum threads, anything that will give me the basic of tubes (what they are, what they do, why they are sought after, pros, cons, etc). I could search....but there is so much. Here are some things I want to know as well:

What is a good tube amp that is inexpensive so I can at least experiment? I dont want DIY. Im not a genius with electronics. I can roll op amps....not construct an atomic bomb with a toothpick.

My reference is the SM3.

I was looking at the little dot 2.....any suggestions on that one?

i need something that i can put my e4c into (dont worry about the um2...they will prolly hum like a bird) and need to drive these extremely demanding AKG k240m. I also plan to get senn hd650 soon...since they seem to be a must. so some adjustability on the pot will be nice.

thanks

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 6
It would greatly help if you gave a more defined budget. Reasonably well built tube gear usually (and notice I said usually) starts in around $600 (excluding DIY kits). Below this mark and things can get a bit hit and miss, although there may be exceptions. Your $ will stretch farthest if you buy used. Remember, tube rolling can also be quite a monetary drain depending on the amp. Its fun, but unfortunately its not always cheap. Good luck.

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 6
300 seems good. I am looking at the little dot 3+. Looks like chinese labor (cheap) has produced a well made amp for less than us americans are used to. I dont want a reference tube amp b/c of my philosophy that a SS amp is where the real transparency and detail is at. i just want a tube for the hell of having one. dont be fooled thinking that I want a slouch either. but for "fun listening, I think it would be nice. I still have my macro which I want to swith for the mini for transportable, and will eventually get the larocco triad for home reference

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Looks like chinese labor (cheap) has produced a well made amp for less than us americans are used to. I dont want a reference tube amp b/c of my philosophy that a SS amp is where the real transparency and detail is at. i just want a tube for the hell of having one. dont be fooled thinking that I want a slouch either. but for "fun listening, I think it would be nice.

I am afraid that you may possibly be in for a disappointment. Chinese labor is cheaper, and they can produce fine quality gear, but that is not always the case. But do remember, sometimes cheap is cheap, and that means sound quality as well as build quality. You may finad a good amp that sounds nice, but you are just as likely to find an amp that hums, hisses or does not track volume well. You will have a tube experience, but its not one that I would recommend if you to find out what tubes are all about. The MF X-Can suggestion is a good option to consider. You may also want to do a search on what other LD owners think of their amps before you make a final decision. I wish you luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back