Tube Newb Has a Question
Apr 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

burnspbesq

500+ Head-Fier
If I swap the stock JJ Electronics 12AU7 in my brand-new RSA Raptor for a Mullard, what changes should I expect in the sonic signature?

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 20
Not sure if this will help, but I think you will hear what others have said about Mullard 12au7 to an extent. 'fuller', 'richer' 'smoother' 'no compromise on details' 'what-so-ever' etc. etc.
And to what degree you will hear it, and also if it is worth the money is your call
smily_headphones1.gif

(I am talking in general as I have never listened to Raptor nor JJ 12au7. My experience is from trying various 12au7 and it's variants in SP MPX.)

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 20
I don't know anything about the Raptor but in any 12AU7 amp I have used I found the NOS Mullards the best, better bass, better imagining, better midrange. Its a good sounding tube and they are still a good buy, I think I paid $40 for mine a few months ago. If you haven't tube rolled before you will be amazed at the improvements.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 20
I have found this to be pretty accurate, and helpful:

12au7_guide2.gif

My favorite 12AU7 is the Tung Sol Black Glass. This tube will sound MUCH, MUCH better than the JJ, which will seem veiled and thin by comparison.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My favorite 12AU7 is the Tung Sol Black Glass. This tube will sound MUCH, MUCH better than the JJ, which will seem veiled and thin by comparison.

Cool Matrix.

OPer notice that the JJ isn't listed. That should tell you something.

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Looks like I need to order three or four alternatives and test them in my system.

Now if my stinkin' Ayre QB-9 would only show up.
angry_face.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnspbesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I need to order three or four alternatives and test them in my system.

Now if my stinkin' Ayre QB-9 would only show up.
angry_face.gif

With that DAC you definately want better tubes than JJ's.

May 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 20
If my experience with an EF-1 is any comparison, the JJ is OK, but getting something like a Tung-Sol Black Glass is definitely worth the time & money. I have some spare CONN-branded Sylvanias that kind of sound like a poor man's TSBG, but given your setup, I doubt you'd be interested in a poor man's anything. (Sadly, I can't help with the Black Glass. I'm saving mine for an eventual Raptor of my own.)

I've heard that Mullards (especially long-plate) are very, very warm, which might be an interesting variation with the Raptor, given RSA's reputation of having very non-tubey-sounding tube amps.

May 1, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 20
black glass tung sol is one great tube, also my favourite. I love the tung sol's in general,they are a very nice combination of warmth,punchy bass and nice extended highs...they sound great in all the frequency spectrum.
the rca's are also very good tubes,especially the blackplates ones if you are looking for a warm signature.
when tried the short plate mullard in my EF1 it sounded a little muddy...maybe it was a fake or not burned in enough
confused_face(1).gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when tried the short plate mullard in my EF1 it sounded a little muddy...maybe it was a fake or not burned in enough
confused_face(1).gif

a lot depends on the application. As far as 12au7 and its variants goes, I love Mullard and TS Black Glass in my MPX, but in Decware ZCD, I prefer Telefunken 12au7 over both TS and Mullard.

May 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

12au7_guide2.gif

That is a cool guide. Are there anymore for other tubes?

May 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 20
There's a guy in the UK on eBay selling what he claims are black glass Tung-Sols for 20 pounds each, so I bought two. It's either a screaming bargain or an acceptably small loss.

Also on my shopping list, based on what I've read here and elsewhere: Telefunken, RCA cleartop, Mullard, and "Bugle-Boy" made by Philips in the 1950s.

Tube amp = hole in your desktop into which you constantly pour money.

May 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

There's a guy in the UK on eBay selling what he claims are black glass Tung-Sols for 20 pounds each, so I bought two. It's either a screaming bargain or an acceptably small loss.

Also on my shopping list, based on what I've read here and elsewhere: Telefunken, RCA cleartop, Mullard, and "Bugle-Boy" made by Philips in the 1950s.

I've just bought 4x NOS RCA Cleartops for $20
k701smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

eek.gif
Now that's a deal!
Quote:

If you want help with the RCA cleartop, I've got one I'd be happy to sell (it's not really my style, but you might like it). If you're interested, just send me a PM.
Quote:

I figure it's either buy new tubes every time the upgrade bug strikes or buy new amps, and one of those is cheaper.
o2smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by schawo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought 4x NOS RCA Cleartops for $20
k701smile.gif

I'd watch out a bit about extreme tube deals. Sometimes it's a real deal, sometimes it's a tube that's been used & pulled and repackaged as NOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back