Tube matching by ears ?
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to buy a small batch of tubes. I don't have a device to match them. Could I do it by ears ? Trying until I find a pair that sounds good...

You are not making any sense? Sound quality .... and I assume you mean electrical matching .... have nothing to do with one another. Tubes can be perfectly electrically matched and you may not like the sound at all.

If the tubes will be used in pairs you need identical tubes in terms of brand and physical construction minimum. Once you have the same tubes you can then audition them and see what sounds good to you.

Electrical matching with a tester goes one step further matching the tubes electrical parameters so there are no imbalances side to side, section to section etc... You cant do that by ear.

Depending on the amp, electrical matching may not even be particulalry important. But, buying a batch of miscellaneous tubes and thinking you will find matches isnt going to work.

NOTE: Knowing what amp and what tubes the amp will use would make giving you advice much easier.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrical matching with a tester goes one step further matching the tubes electrical parameters so there are no imbalances side to side, section to section etc... You cant do that by ear.

This is what I'd like to do by ear.

Quote:

Knowing what amp and what tubes the amp will use would make giving you advice much easier.

I'd like to by a batch of 6J1P-EV for my Yaqin tube buffer. This batch is not sold in matched pairs, so now you understand better...

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the confusion,

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

This is what I'd like to do by ear.

I'd like to by a batch of 6J1P-EV for my Yaqin tube buffer. This batch is not sold in matched pairs, so now you understand better...

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the confusion,

The question is do they need matched. If so, to what degree? What does you instruction manual specify? If you want matching within a certain per cent, like 5% or 10%, there is no way you can do that by ear. If you just want to listen to the tubes and see which ones are without gross mismatches that is the best you can do.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

The question is do they need matched. If so, to what degree? What does you instruction manual specify? If you want matching within a certain per cent, like 5% or 10%, there is no way you can do that by ear. If you just want to listen to the tubes and see which ones are without gross mismatches that is the best you can do.

To my knowledge, there's nothing about it in the specifications of the Yaqin tube buffer, and certainly not in the documentation that I have. So I'll ask Ian at Grant Fidelity for it...

Now, let's say that I should match them within 10%... What would happen if I don't? Should I worry if I can't hear any difference?

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

To my knowledge, there's nothing about it in the specifications of the Yaqin tube buffer, and certainly not in the documentation that I have. So I'll ask Ian at Grant Fidelity for it...

Now, let's say that I should match them within 10%... What would happen if I don't? Should I worry if I can't hear any difference?

The channels could have differing volume levels. If you listen and you dont hear any such differences I would not worry about it. From what additional info you have provided I would not think matching was critical.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Someone in the LDMKIII tuberolling thread accidentally bought different tubes and tried them. AFAIR they couldn't really tell the difference. If you can't find them matched then just try them until you find something you like sonically

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, it is possible to match tubes by ear - but you need to have an educated ear and know how to listen.
wink.gif

Seriously, circuits that require manual bias or circuits that are "self-balancing" - both will adjust the constant volume level between the left and right channels so that they are equal. However, with unmatched tubes, the tube with higher output will respond more to peaks and transients in the music. It will sound as if one headphone can is very lively, with some sounds seemingly originating from only that can, or even outside of the can. Whereas, the can on your other ear will seem to be dead and unresponsive. Music plays through it at the same volume, but you never seem to hear any transients or peaks that are located only on that side.

It takes practice, but it's possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Based on my experience, it's fairly easy to get tubes that are within about 20%. Closer than that will take some dedicated comparisons, but it's still possible to get them within 10%, too. It takes a lot of work, though.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back