Tube masters: Some quick help please!
Oct 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
I know exactly where to turn to on head-fi for the real deal on tubes!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking at buying a modded CONSONANCE REF 2.2 Linear CDP and one of the mods is to change the stock Sovtek 6H30 to a JJ ECC99. The position of the tube in the circuit is an output buffer. I guess to match impedance between components but I'm no EE. The plan only calls for one. I had always thought the 6H30 - being a modern incarnation - had a pretty good sonic rep.

What differences could there possibly be in changing the tube from a Sovtek 6H30 to a JJ ECC99?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 6
They are really similar tubes -- the ECC99 has a slightly higher mu and a slightly higher rp because of it. But, they are almost interchangeable in many ways. Everyone who has ever used the 6H30 likes it as it is good sounding and really useful. The ECC99 is said to be slightly more analytic sounding -- colder, more solid statey. Also, there are various types of 6H30's around -- different factories, different vintages, and different ratings, which means you can do a little bit of tube rolling. AFAIK, this is not the case for the ECC99. The only wiring change is to change the heater arrangement. Seems like a silly mod to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know exactly where to turn to on head-fi for the real deal on tubes!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking at buying a modded CONSONANCE REF 2.2 Linear CDP and one of the mods is to change the stock Sovtek 6H30 to a JJ EC99. The position of the tube in the circuit is an output buffer. I guess to match impedance between components but I'm no EE. The plan only calls for one. I had always thought the 6H30 - being a modern incarnation - had a pretty good sonic rep.

What differences could there possibly be in changing the tube from a Sovtek 6H30 to a JJ EC99?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a silly mod to me.

Thats good advice. Their sort of tweaking for the sake of tweaking. It's a store that does the modding. Not a bona-fide modding house nor the gurus that hang out in DIY forums. I'm glad I put the idea past you.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats good advice. Their sort of tweaking for the sake of tweaking. It's a store that does the modding. Not a bona-fide modding house nor the gurus that hang out in DIY forums. I'm glad I put the idea past you.

The mod could be for tube cost. The 6H30 can be pricey while the JJs are not. But otherwise, the mod doesnt make much sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back