Tube like sounding DAC
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lifeisbeautiful

New Head-Fier
I have a Meze classics 99, which is very efficient already. So, I don't need an amp with either my iPhone or mac.
But, I just love the sound of tube based components in home theater. (The fluid no harsh sound) Which Headphone dacs can give me the same signature?

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 4
No DAC gives off the tube signature since DACs are supposed to have a linear frequency response. Tubes OTOH are not. You can however, insert a tube buffer such as iFi micro iTube2 between the DAC and amp (yes you will need an amp if you want tube sound) or get a tube amp such Littledot MK III or II.

I use a tube buffer such as the Schiit Saga myself since I like the tube sound as well.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 4
  No DAC gives off the tube signature since DACs are supposed to have a linear frequency response. Tubes OTOH are not. You can however, insert a tube buffer such as iFi micro iTube2 between the DAC and amp (yes you will need an amp if you want tube sound) or get a tube amp such Littledot MK III or II.

I use a tube buffer such as the Schiit Saga myself since I like the tube sound as well.

Tubes can be very linear.  DHTs are probably the most linear amplification devices around, but they are generally low power.  At this very moment I have digital going into my aikido all tube pre-amp and push-pull 6B4G amp and it sounds neither tubey nor digital. 

I also have this tiny tube headphone amp by Oatley Electronics in Australia.  That sounds tubey.  It uses pencil tubes and actually muddies the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back