Tube life on the X-CAN V8?
Dec 10, 2009 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kenratboy

New Head-Fier
FINALLY ordered a headphone amp (Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8 as you probably guessed) for my Denon AH-D2000's.

This is the first tube device I have owned, and have a question about the tube life. Assuming by the "NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE" written on the case, I am assuming the tubes will last a very long time. How long exactly?

Sure I will have more questions on this beast, but it seems like they put tubes in here, but they are expecting them to last the life of the unit.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenratboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FINALLY ordered a headphone amp (Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8 as you probably guessed) for my Denon AH-D2000's.

This is the first tube device I have owned, and have a question about the tube life. Assuming by the "NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE" written on the case, I am assuming the tubes will last a very long time. How long exactly?

Sure I will have more questions on this beast, but it seems like they put tubes in here, but they are expecting them to last the life of the unit.

Thanks!

Great buy there! It's an excellent amp!

I'm not sure how long they last but I estimate at several thousand hours. Also the tubes can be replaced manually by you. I replaced my stock tube with Russian 6H23N tubes and it was a big jump in sound quality.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Are we talking the tubes lasting months, or years? While I see there are what look like some good tubes for cheap, I just want to know if I should be planning on bi-annual replacement from burnouts, or maybe replacing them in 2015.

I see there is no on/off switch, is this unit supposed to be left on 24/7? 8,700 hours in a year.

Oh, and thanks. Been looking for almost a year, and this one just seemed to work. Worried about the USB audio compatibility (what will and will not play).

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 7
I owned an X-Can V3 for 2 years. The whole time I owned it, it was never unplugged (no power switch) Never needed to change the tubes.. I hope that helps

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 7
That does, thank you.

With a whopping 0.5 watts @ 24 volts input, I cannot see how there would be enough power to even get these things warm (heat kills, and there is no heat!)

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi kenratboy!, I have no idea about the tube's life...just want to congratulate for your new equipment. I have exactly the same amp and headphones, and by far I can tell you that is the best, smooth, clear, and pleasant sound that I ever heard in headphones...It is the first time that I can listen music for hours and hours and hours without pain or ringing...
icon10.gif

cheers mate!

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Cool!

I bought the headphones as soon as they were released (I wanted some very nice closed-back headphones, and bought them through a retail accommodation program without hearing or even reading anything about them) - they are awesome. However, they are being driven off my Harman Kardon receiver
confused_face(1).gif
- so I am sure I am selling them short. Wonder how much of a treat I will be in for once this bad boy shows up!

On an unrelated note, there is also a pair of Vienna Beethoven Concert Grand's in my future, so we will see if headphones/amp are really better than good speakers.

While it is very premature, what replacement tubes are out there? I see dozens of versions, from $10-200 each, something on the less-expensive side I can experiment with (I will take the advice, I will not mess with a thing for probably 6 months).

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back