tube itch
Nov 15, 2002 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to know if anyone has used the mapletree ear+ as a preamp. I am looking to put tubes somewhere in my system. The ear+ is reasonably priced, a headamp and preamp, and uses inexpensive tubes. It pushes all the right buttons. I appreciate any comments on reliability. Futhermore, if you have any other suggestions please advise. I am more intrested in any units preamp performance and reliability, and I dont want to spend a fortune.

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 9
tube itch?
stop now while you can!
evil_smiley.gif

I haven't done research on pre amps...but the Fourplay from bottlehead had some nice reviews...as did the mapletree...
also check out space tech's amps...
md

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi!

I can run a little test for you. I have my Ear+ here at work for off-time listening. I also have an Advent 300 receiver that I can jack the Ear+ into the power amp section. I can run both HD600s and STAX SR40s from the Advent.

I'll let you know how it sounds!

Very best regards,
Steve

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi Everyone!

Well, I performed a quickie check without too much scientific rigor to see how well the Ear+ might perfrom as a preamp.

I used three different setups:
- My CD player (old RCA 16 x 4 portable) through the Ear+ driving Sennheiser HD600s,
- CD player through the Ear+ driving the power amp section of an Advent 300 receiver driving the HD600s through the Advent's headphone jack (which is internally connected to the power amp section through an attenuating resistor), and
- CD player through the Ear+ driving the Advent driving a pair of STAX SR40 electrets through the Advent's speaker outputs.

I used David Sylvian's "I Surrender" as the test track. This is fairly well recorded and I am very familiar with it.

The best sound was obtained with set-up #1. This is of course the most direct path. There was absolutely no discernible background noise and the music was very relaxed and well presented. I think the Ear+ and the HD600s make a great match. I did not have my Grado SR80s here for this test but it drives them very well also.

Set-up #2 was next best. The Ear+ has mucho gain (28dB I believe) and it could easily overdrive the Advent. Only about 1/4 of the Ear+'s volume pot range was usable. There was also some background hum evident with a level that did not vary with the volume pot's setting. I note this hum when listening to the Advent as a receiver with the HD600s but not quite this high a level. I have no idea what the input sensitivity and impedance is for the Advent's power amp stage but it did not seem to be a very good match. The music still sounded pretty darn good but the hum was a little distracting.

Set-up #3 was just okay. The STAXs are a little hard and prefer tube amplification (as I believe the Senns do). The hum level was now very low; about the same as when I use the Advent as a eceiver to drive the STAXs. The sound was a little too dry for my tastes.

Please remember that this was a quick test and an office environment with plenty of RF and powerline noise around is less than optimal.

Used as preamp, I would think that the Ear+ would be a better match for a lower input sensitivity tube amplifier than the load the Advent presented. Maybe when I finish my latest Stereo 70 rebuild, I'll try the Ear+ with that and post the results.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 9
THANKS Steve A, you answered my main two concerns;high gain and hum. I need a tube pre with a lower gain level as my amp is sensitive. Two, I already have hum issues with my amp and have to lift the ground at all times to break the ground loop. The mapletree doesnt sound like an appropriate match, I struggle to keep to keep noise /hum out of my system now. One more question though, how has the mapletrees reliability been?

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 9
The tube itch can be very expensive if you start scratching it. Trust me in this
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi!

The Ear+ reliability has been absolutely bulletproof thus far. Dr. Lloyd did a very good design job, spending money where it counts and using components at well below their maximum ratings. I don't believe that people realize how difficult it is to create a high quality, low cost, good sounding design.

I use mine about 2 hours a day, 6 days a week and nary a burp since I placed it into service this past June.

Even if the Ear+ might not work, check out MAD's other products or contact Lloyd and let him know what you need. Maybe a resistor change here and there might lower the gain and attendant hum.

Very best regards,
Steve

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Steve A, thanks again, inquiring about lowering the gain is a great idea. That would allow the amp sensitivity to match and lowering the gain would lower any hum/noise too. Why didnt I think of that.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back