Tube installation?
Mar 20, 2010 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stein

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
My Mullard 6AK5's just came in for my EF2A the other day and I've got them installed and working fine, or so I think. In hindsight it probably would have been a bit better to ask this prior to putting them in, but should you put tubes in by just pushing them into the holes, or by rocking them in like the way you take the tubes out?

Also, is there any chance of the sound being imbalanced, like 55% right, 45% left or something similar? I want to say I've read something about it, but I'm not quite sure. I don't trust my ears just yet.

I've searched head-fi and google and it's actually been kind of difficult to come up with a straight answer, so I figured I'd try to ask you experts. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 9
You just put them in by pushing them straight in. You rock it mainly to help loosen it to remove it, but that's pretty much it.

There is a chance that channel imbalance can happen with the tubes if one of them is weaker than the other. I have a pair of Sylvanias that weren't matched and the right channel was audibly louder than the left. I don't have this imbalance with all my other tubes so I know they're the tubes and not the volume pot or anything amp related.

Pretty nuts too, thought my left ear hearing got worse.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 9
X2, may be unmatched pair of tubes. No Biggie. Good time to start collecting sets of tubes.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Imbalance is msotly due to unmatched pair. Can always request for a matched pair while ordering.

I would recomend pushing in. Rocking only if necessay for taking them out. And if you have the chance clean the contact using contact cleaner. Would provide better connection and cleaner sound.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, may be unmatched pair of tubes. No Biggie. Good time to start collecting sets of tubes.

This is the crack of this hobby. Danger, danger Will Robinson.
smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh, Happy Camper. You can never be too careful with tube gear? There is always extra attention needed.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

And also the stock tubes seem to be lacking in one way or another and having a few sets to me increased the enjoyment of tube gear.

You will eventually gravitate to the tube retailers that have your tubes at the best prices. Well I have found a few of them.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Alright, well thanks a lot guys. I don't think my pair is imbalanced, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to be completely sure. Some tracks seem to biased towards the left, but I want to say the parts that make me think that were recorded that way on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back