Tube Headphone Amp and DAC Combo questions
Oct 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jakerpoo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently just acquired a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-880 600 Ohm headphones, and my next purchase will probably be a headphone amp. 

I've head some people on this forum say that these headphones really should be paired with a nice tube headphone amp.

I was wondering, if I wanted to listen to vinyl, i should probably find a headphone amp with a ground on it right? Also, I want to get a DAC so I can listen to the music that's on my computer. Would I be able to plug in the RCA cables into the amp without a ground cable?  Or on the flip side, could I get a tube amp without a ground on it, and just ground the turn table into something else nearby, say my DJ mixer?

Also, any suggestions ona  good Tube headphone amp/ DAC would be nice too, although not encessary, because I know there are a ton of threads about that.  If I were pairing a DAC and a tube amp, should i go for a dac that doesn't have an amplifier in it? Do those even exist?

Sorry, im such a newbie, but if you guys could help me out that would be great!

Jake

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 8
I've had good results with a Schiit Lyr tube amp and a Schiit Bifrost DAC with my DT880's. The Lyr  amp doesn't have a separate ground on it for your turntable, but a small phono amp would have such a connection (I use a Musichall phono amp for my turntable). The Bifrost has great sound for a very reasonable price, and the Lyr is a very flexible amp that sounds great with many different headphones. Hope this helps.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I recently just acquired a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-880 600 Ohm headphones, and my next purchase will probably be a headphone amp. 
I've head some people on this forum say that these headphones really should be paired with a nice tube headphone amp.
I was wondering, if I wanted to listen to vinyl, i should probably find a headphone amp with a ground on it right? Also, I want to get a DAC so I can listen to the music that's on my computer. Would I be able to plug in the RCA cables into the amp without a ground cable?  Or on the flip side, could I get a tube amp without a ground on it, and just ground the turn table into something else nearby, say my DJ mixer?
Also, any suggestions on a good Tube headphone amp/ DAC would be nice too, although not necessary, because I know there are a ton of threads about that.  If I were pairing a DAC and a tube amp, should I go for a GAC that doesn't have an amplifier in it? Do those even exist?
Sorry, I'm such a newbie, but if you guys could help me out that would be great!

On the computer, is it for music only? or also for movies or gaming?
For the computer you can get the Xonar DX or D1 sound card, comes with the CS4398 DAC chip.
Sometimes you can get a used DX or D1 used for a good price.
Amplifier wise, maybe a Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 8

Thanks a lot for the responses guys!

I guess what would really help my search out is if i knew the following things:

1. Could I get ANY amp (without a phono ground) and plug my phono into it if i grounded the cable to something else? Like if I had a DJ mixer next to it used solely for connecting the ground cable to it?  And if I did, would it sound just as good?

2. Or if I get a cheap phono amp for solely grounding purposes and plugged it into a headphone amp for the actual amplification, would I lose any fidelity?

3.  If I got an amp WITH a ground location, can I plug regular RCA into it with no problem?

Quote:
On the computer, is it for music only? or also for movies or gaming?
For the computer you can get the Xonar DX or D1 sound card, comes with the CS4398 DAC chip.
Sometimes you can get a used DX or D1 used for a good price.
Amplifier wise, maybe a Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier.

And it's only for music. And it's a laptop to it would have to be external!

Thanks a lot!

Jake

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Try the websites AVSforum and AVforum, I'm guessing they deal with a lot more questions about Vinyl and phonographs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back