tube, headfive, RA-1 help!
Jan 2, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OpusRob

100+ Head-Fier
Given a choice between repairing an old Fisher x-100-c tube amp, buying an almost new headfive, or buying the RA-1 used, which would you choose? I am awaiting the arrival of my MS2i, am deciding whether to sell my sr-225s to raise money for said repair/purchase, or sitting tight and keeping my 225s until I am sure I don't want them. I think my Fostex T40RP may benefit from an amp as well, but for now, I will mostly be using something Grado. Something smaller and relatively portable (around the house anyway) would be nice, especially if I am able to use it with the ipod and IEMs I have (E2C, Super.fi5pro), though if using a tube amp is believed to be much better than the other two, then perhaps getting the Fisher up to speed makes sense. If this post seems confused, it's because I am. I need help prioritizing - it feels like I am juggling too many ideas at once.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the HeadFive paired with the Super.fi 5 Pro (with a Panasonic S47 source), and they "make wonderful music together." A fun combo, albeit a little bass-heavy at times. Great for late night music or movies!
wink.gif

My tube amp (DarkVoice 336i) and hybrid (G&W T2.6F) do NOT pair well with the low impedance S.f5P. There's hum/whine, and the S.f's can sound somewhat strident when paired with either amp.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 8
wow, nice postive for the headfive and my supers. Bad news for the others though. Tubes intrigue me, but i am not sure what a hybrid is, other than guessing that it is a mix of ss and tube characteristics.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd like you to create a 3rd thread on the subject.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like you to create a 3rd thread on the subject.

x2
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 8
The Fisher X-100 is a classic and if you pair it with a good set of efficient speakers it will be an awesome sound. Also the Fisher can be used to drive the AKG K1000.

As a parting note remember the other amps are easy to come buy not so a vintage Fisher. Good luck.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 8
As a parting note remember the other amps are easy to come buy not so a vintage Fisher. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's helpful. The Fisher is actually running ok, except that the balance knob isn't centered - I have to make a shift about 3/4 of the way to the left to get an even left-right balance. I wouldn't have guessed it would be working so well, but there you are. I just came upon a pair of Acoustic Research AR2A speakers at the dump swap-shop that are also, amazingly after 47 years, still working quite well. These should make a very nice pair!

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a parting note remember the other amps are easy to come buy not so a vintage Fisher. Good luck.

Thanks, that's helpful. The Fisher is actually running ok, except that the balance knob isn't centered - I have to make a shift about 3/4 of the way to the left to get an even left-right balance. I wouldn't have guessed it would be working so well, but there you are. I just came upon a pair of Acoustic Research AR2A speakers at the dump swap-shop that are also, amazingly after 47 years, still working quite well. These should make a very nice pair![/QUOTE]

AR speakers are sweet, get the balance fixed (should be an easy/cheap fix). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back