Tube epiphany today
Sep 28, 2007 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

balou

500+ Head-Fier
hi,
Today after my first week at university, I wanted to try out some Sennheiser headphones at Musik Hug in Zurich. Well, the HD600 was a rather big disappointment (it just sounds to boomy and undefined for me), but I have made some other nice discoveries.

A nice sales guy noticed my Grado SR80s around my neck, and first questioned me why the hell I wanted to try out Sennheisers. Well, you gotta listen to it first to really know that you don't like it. Then he took out a pair of SR325i from nowhere (I didn't know that they sell Grados - no advertising on that whatsoever), and I also got to compare the SR325i with the RS2. I reaaally like those two 'phones, except their price
wink.gif
. He also asked me about my - admittedly rather measly - chain, and strongly suggested getting a real amp. I was a bit skeptical if that would really make such a huge difference. The whole time I was listening to an X-can V3. At the end of the listening session, I put my SR80 directly into the headphone out of a CDP there (can't remember brand, but it was several-k$ player).

Oh
my
God

Here it was, a really HUGE difference in sound. Gone was all the warm, full, sound, and it was replaced by a thin, trebly-pseudo-detailed sound. Basically all the things I disliked at one point or another about the Grado sound. Looks like I just missed some good amplification
blink.gif
. Now I'm really eager to find out how my own little B³ amp will sound (see my threadlist for infos). It's not a tube amp, but it should be able to deliver about 800mA of current instead of the 10-40 of cheap integrated headphone amps/opamps/etc. But now I also have yet another thing I want - a home tube amp, be it DIY or the X-can v3. The sound is just great. By the way, the sales guy invited me to bring my homebuilt amp to compare it with him against the pro-ject headbox and the x-can (because he doesn't think DIY can be on par with commercial products). An offer I'll gladly accept
rs1smile.gif
. I hope to beat at least the pro-ject headbox (pics of it's inside show a rather basic headphone amp). Ok, I slowly get off-topic... back to the main topic of the thread: tubes! Today really was an epiphany. I never gave much thought about tubes, also because of tube-dislikers with arguments about bigger distortions in tubes than in semiconductors. But it's true: it's about the sound, not about charts and measurements and theoretical physics!

p.s.: are there diy projects of about the same SQ as the X-can v3?

p.p.s: sales guy, are you here on head-fi too? it looked like your quite a bit into headphone hifi

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Cool.... sounds like a nice sales guy.

When you set up your rig to A/B compare amps, make sure you do a blind test. Set the listeners chair/back to the rig so you guys can't see what you are hearing. The results may surprise you.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 10
killercrush: the x-can is hybrid too. I'm not religious about using just tubes - the cdp or the phono preamp will most likely also have semiconductors (i.e. transistors and/or ICs) in them, and as long the sound is pleasant, the number of tubes is irrelevant to me.
and I'm sure the millet max is in the same or above the league of the xcan, but from what I've heard it's also about the same price... (x-can v3 would be 420$ at this shop)

kramer5150: yeah I'll have to see if the sales guy will agree on that. I'd also have to build a switchbox for 1/4" first. but comparing a normal headphone out to the x-can v3 didn't require a blind test, the difference was quite extreme

p.s.: he even told me that he'd buy a DIY amp from me (to sell it there) if it topped either the pro-ject headbox or the x-can.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 10
i love my apache, but if the b52 wasn't twice as much, i would have gotten that instead. tubes are great. a little more upkeep and expense, but worth it.

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 10
For some reason the X-Can V3 does not get a lot of respect here. IMO it is a fine amp with a very airy yet detailed presentation. When you implement the PinkFloyd Mods w/ one of his Little Pinkie PSU the amp goes to a whole new level with a clarity and extension that few amps have.

It is not a bass head amp even with 6H23-EB and w/ the larger caps. But those who like a balance presentation would love the X-Can V3.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I found out the same thing when I was at a hi-fi shop in Stockholm. I've been reading a lot of comments that say Grados esp. the lower models don't benefit that much from an amp. But to my ears the difference between an unamped SR60 and one driven fron an X-can V3 was greater than the difference between the SR60 and SR225 both driven from the X-can.

Sure, the SR225 was more detailed, bit airier. But to me, the difference the amp contributed; fullness, warmt, the better power and control over the total sound spectrum, seemed more worthwhile to me.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 10
That's exactly what I think. I walked in to the store wanting to buy (or at least test out) a new headphone, and walked out with the conclusion that I need a good headphone amp first. The SR325i does sound better than the SR80 (the most surprising thing to me was that it sounded somewhat fuller, something I didn't expect. and of course better representation of the soundstage and more clarity). but an Xcan is 500 CHF, and the SR325i is 600 CHF, so an amp has definitely a better price/performance ratio. and there's also the unsolved problem that I want a wooden Grado - sometime. My life's worthless without owning one of these at some point
wink.gif
I wonder if I should buy one right now instead of the SR325i, or at some point latter. And of course I'm pretty much broke - next time I'll really earn money will be after university, which will be in 5.5 - 7,8...etc years. Should I wait until that with buying a RS2? Or even the SR325i? Should I buy the SR325i now and go nuts with my first pay and buy a GS1000 or RS1? And of course, amp seems to be the better choice, or is it? How does complete induction work, 'cause I should know this by thursday. And of course, an amp posses the same problems: buy something that'll last a few upgrade cycles but costs to much, or buy something rather cheap which will be obsolete in my chain soon... To many questions
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: p.s.: I also tested the AKG K701. Described in one word, it's "pleasant". Highs are a bit tamed in comparison with Grado, bass is a bit more sennheiser-like but not so over-the-top, it's quite comfortable even if the huge round cups were a bit confusing at the beginning. But I think I'm a Grado fanboy after all.

p.p.s: as a student I'm getting about 5 emails today about various scientifical tests they search participants for. E.g. you get Naloxon intravenously, you have to make some tests for about 90 mins, and in the end you're getting enough money to reward yourself with a Koss KSC75. Ah, student life - medical tests for minimum wage. Well, money doesn't grow on trees, so looks like I have to sacrifice myself for tests to get some more pocket money.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.p.s: as a student I'm getting about 5 emails today about various scientifical tests they search participants for. E.g. you get Naloxon intravenously, you have to make some tests for about 90 mins, and in the end you're getting enough money to reward yourself with a Koss KSC75. Ah, student life - medical tests for minimum wage. Well, money doesn't grow on trees, so looks like I have to sacrifice myself for tests to get some more pocket money.

Try to do those sleep deprivation studies. They pay a lot more, and you're probably used to it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back