Tube Coolers - - a necessity?
Jun 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

BillyHOEZ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all...

just wondering if Tube coolers are a die hard necessity for the new MPX-3 amps. I know that Mikhail designed the amp so that the tubes aren't pushed too hard...but the amount of heat it generates scares me
eek.gif
. Apparently parts connextion has a sale on the 6sn7 coolers, and their prices of the Ken rad tubes are pretty good. has anyone had any experiences with buying NOS tubes from them? Furthermore, will installing the tube coolers improve or make the sound sound worse? Thanks for the input!

BillyHOEZ

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 28
I have used the Pearl coolers you are referring to. They aren't a necessity but they will bring down the temperature provided you have good circulation around the cooler/tube. This could marginally extend your tube's life, although I have no quantitative evidence of this (happens over way too long a period of time).

They don't do a good job with microphonics, however. Although headphone rigs don't suffer ringing problems caused by loudspeaker vibrations, headphones are more sensitive then most loudspeakers. That means that managing microphonics is still important. Herbie's tube dampers have proven to be the best for my system. If you want to improve the sound, get these.

I have purchased from Parts Connexion. They are reliable and reputable but don't have much tube selection. They also don't test/match the tubes for you (at least they didn't with me).

BTW, the heat is perfectly normal. It's actually cool compared to many other tubes (esp. larger power tubes).

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 28
I'm not certain about the effectiveness of tube coolers. I wouldn't worry about it. My EL34 (6 per channel for a total of 12) runs much much hotter than any of the little signal tubes used in most headphone amps and preamps. Just make sure you have sufficent room around your amp for ventilation. If you want to tweak, I'd suggest you spend your money on Herbie's tube dampeners. For what it's worth, the Herbie tube dampeners look cool.
biggrin.gif
All my tubes are damped by Herbie's tube dampeners. Damn, I sound like an infomercial.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 28
It is hard to believe that there are any coolers that are really quiet enough for audiophile use. I think it is really funny that there are some ultra expensive amps (not these head amps) that come with "quiet" fans!

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 28
There is a reason tubes get hot. Each tube has a built-in heater so that it will emit electrons more reliably. Tube needs to reach its operating temperature to sound its best. I would only recommend using a tube cooler or any sort if you are using in a non-circulated and non-airconditioned environment.

Jun 9, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 28
Do some research on the web on this question and you'll find that the Pearl coolers aren't such a great idea. There's something about them that wears out over time, and at the asking price is a deal breaker in my book. I am going to buy some of Herbie's stuff just because it never wears and is reasonable in my book.

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 28
i dunno....herbie's stuff looks mighty cool...but i am a bit skeptical. how can a small piece of plastic around the top of the tube absorb vibration? I thought it would go on the base of the tube between the amp and the tube itself. I mean, my listening environment has virtually no noticeable vibration, so if i were to install these neat looking things, would i REALLY hear much of a difference? I'm perplexed....
confused.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 28
I've been using Pearl coolers on my head amp for the past year. I can't say that they alter the sound. However , the coolers do help the power tubes run cooler. There are some really good articles on the net about them.

Just an observed data point, on MY amp the EL84 outputs were not touchable for 10 or so minutes after shutdown. With the coolers on, and without the carbon fiber sock, I can hold my finger on top of the tube with minimal discomfort.

As for microphonics the only solution is lower gain or different (change) tubes.

As for cost, in the audiophile world Pearl Tube coolersqualifies as a inexpensive mod. Between 5 and 12 USD. How's that compared to $$$ cables?

YMMV,
Andrew

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 28
Thanks for the link AndrewB. While the Pearl tube cooler might look nice, imagine what happens to that slender eleastic piece that holds it in place after a while. It will either wear out or stretch out rather quickly, and then you have a paper weight since nothing will hold them in place until you discover a new way of holding them onto a tube.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyHOEZ
i dunno....herbie's stuff looks mighty cool...but i am a bit skeptical. how can a small piece of plastic around the top of the tube absorb vibration? I thought it would go on the base of the tube between the amp and the tube itself. I mean, my listening environment has virtually no noticeable vibration, so if i were to install these neat looking things, would i REALLY hear much of a difference? I'm perplexed....
confused.gif

I also have some of herbie's stuff but currently I too can't detect any noticeable microphonics when I tap on the chassis of my amp. So currently I don't use those dampers on my tubes, I had them on for a while but when I took them off I personnally noticed no difference in sonics.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 28
Tube dampers are more effective with speakers setups than headphone setup, I would think. I believe they are used to subdue airborne vibration. Honestly though, I'm not certain if they do anything in my system, eventhough it was pretty pricey. Then again, I haven't tried listening without them on either.

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

It will either wear out or stretch out rather quickly,

Please don't consider my thoughts contrary....

I've been using the Pearl's for about a year almost daily for several hours a day, the o-rings that hold them in place have neither sagged, stretched, nor deteriorated. If they did, I'm sure eventually they will, I'd go to the local NAPA dealer and choose replacement o-rings from their viton o-ring selection.

Come to think of it, and no disrespect to Herbie, NAPA also has o-rings that look suspiciously like Herbies Tube Dampers (registered trademark) for a fraction of the cost. All you need to know is the approximate (slightly to the small side) diameter of the tube you wish to dampen.

Still YMMV,
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back