Tube buffered 4870 gainclone kit
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Wouldn't know without seeing the schematic, but if it is laid out like I think it is I would expect 9V/10-15VA (filaments) and 2x18V/20-30VA (tubes) and 2x24V/120VA+ (LM4780) should do it. To be honest I have looked at this kit and a couple of others like it before and the only thing that's kept me is the need for all these different voltages so if you do try it, please post your impressions.

/U.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 13
well i got some info from the seller.

9V 5~VA
2*18V 30~VA

your pretty much on the money. He gave me the diagram too (no cap values). Its dc from input to the tubes, 1 cap then dc out to the speakers. Its also inverting since the signal goes to the negative in and the positive in is grounded. Sounds pretty good.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 13
I am not so sure but again, I haven't seen the schematic. Many of these designs use a voltage doubler which in this case means you could have a B+ of nearly 100V. AFAIK there are plenty of low-power triodes that will sound fine with that.

/U.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Let us know how it works
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Hey,

Nice purchase! Slightly hesitant on buying the whole amp until i've heard some real user feedback.

As a proud owner what is the score on this interesting amp?

Worth the money?

I'm planning to use it on a home made line array - so wanted the clarity that Gainclones give.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Ed.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi Eddiefish20,

Just curious. Are you the famous eddiefish20 (yeah, like how many people would pick an identical moniker) who solved the (in)famous Creative Gigaworks 550W relay problem of 2008-2009?

Cheers,

hpmaniac

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I have this kit, I threw away the crapptacular china tube and replaced it with an electro harmonix cryo treated russian tube, DAY and NIGHT I tell you! I also replaced several cheap components with my choice of caps, transistor and resistors. I have zero hum maxed out. I can put my ear on the driver and it is dead silent. I used mundorf supreme eutectic solder for the entire board. I have a 10 inch aluminum radiator on the LM4780 chip and it still runs hot! I recommend active cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back