Tube base rotation .... grounds to return?
Nov 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

volted

Head-Fier
Hi all,

My wonderful girlfriend purchased me a stunning NOS TS JAN-CTL-5998 example for my WA3.

... but the plastic/Bakelite part is free to move slightly (in a rotating motion) relative to the glass. The vacuum is still intact, but this movement you can feel stressing the linkage to the pins.

Is this grounds for a replacement or is it common/safe?

Cheers

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Scratch that, the left channel is gone and the sound in the right is highly distorted. Going back!

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 10
Further update, I think it killed my 6922 pair ... uncool. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to flash blue/green.
Won't name the seller, want to see if he resolves the issue promptly.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Seller offered to replace the 5998 and chuck in some nice E88cc tubes for the trouble.
Nice guy. When the replacements arrive, i'm sure i'll be posting a great review for him as a seller.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Best to test the tubes before use.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't have a tube tester knocking around. The seller advertised it as tested. All I can do is plug it in.

Quote:
Best to test the tubes before use.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 10
It is not uncommon to find some looseness in the bases on tubes. Sometimes they can work if the base is not re-stressed. Glad that you are getting replacements.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks john57,

Yea I suspected loose was not too big a deal, just not had a loose one before. The glue-stuff I suspect looses hold alot on older tubes. Just a shame the tube
itself was gone. I'd still pop a loose one in the amp, as the pin/glass points holding the vacuum should be OK, just a shame this 5998 was faulty.

It was quite a sexy little thing too lol

Quote:
It is not uncommon to find some looseness in the bases on tubes. Sometimes they can work if the base is not re-stressed. Glad that you are getting replacements.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Seller (Langrex, UK) very quickly replaced my faulty TS5998 with another one and replaced my broken Genalex Cryoset supers for a NOS pair of Brimar CV2492
(which were collateral damage in the 5998 breakage).

Don't have a tester so can't assert the 5998's life, but James at Langrex was very helpful.

With old tubes, these things happen, so wouldn't hesistate to order again from them (of ebay or elsewhere!)

Thanks Langrex!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back