Tube Amps
Jun 23, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
I'am using the Shure E5c's...

Then a tube amp may not be the best choice. Those Shures are VERY sensitive, and most tube amps have a small amount of background noise and/or hum -- it might not be noticeable with phones of normal sensitivity but the E5c is famous for revealing even miniscule amounts of noise.

The EarMax costs around US$550 new, so getting one for $160 is a bargain. You should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it if it turns out to be unsuitable. I'll check out my EarMax Pro with E5c canal phones tonight and report back on the noise level.

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
The EarMax costs around US$550 new, so getting one for $160 is a bargain. You should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it if it turns out to be unsuitable. I'll check out my EarMax Pro with E5c canal phones tonight and report back on the noise level.

i second this. if push comes to shove, you might even be able to sell them for more than you you bought them for.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #18 of 29
Thanks to headfi, my wallet is gettin' lighter and lighter everyday....Hmmm...Now I am stuck with getting both the Earmax and maybe the Ear+ HD or just the Earmax and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 / ATH W1000........Grrrrrrrr

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 29
Here are the Tube amps that I'am considering at the moment..

1.) Ear+ purist HD
2.) Shellbrook Audio Lab The Hybrid Head
3.) Eddie Current HD-25

Of course, since the Earmax is a good,great,exciting,out of the world bargain, I would be getting them....

Plus, are there any good NOS tubes available out there to change to or what? Of course, if the stock ones are good enough then its ok not to change...

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #20 of 29
If you're using the shures exclusively, go with the HD25, it will definately drive them. I've used mine with my old E2's and heard no background noise whatsoever.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 29
And how do they go with the senn HD650 with an impedence of 300Ohms...

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 29
They go together great. The first time I heard a pair of 600's with my HD25 was also the first time that I actually liked them. I had heard them through an HR-2, XP-7, PPA, and a couple of DIY amps, and had always found them boring. I guess I just needed to hear them through a tube amp.

Jun 24, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

And how do they go with the senn HD650 with an impedence of 300Ohms...

while i have never heard this particular combo - the 650 and the hd25 are said to have great synergy.

according to craig, the '25' in hd25 indicates the minimum impedance [ie 25 ohms] the hd25 will drive.

Jun 24, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

The owner's selling a good condition and well taken care Earmax but its been used for almost 7~8 years? He's selling it around $160....

Who's this seller?? Thanks!

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 29
He's not on Headfi I presume?? I got to know him through my Local headphone Forum and found this great price....Hehe...
eggosmile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #26 of 29
So how do these compare? PPX3-6SN7 by singlepower vs HD-25 by eddie current vs EAR+ Purist HD by mapletreeaudio?
k1000smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

I'll check out my EarMax Pro with E5c canal phones and report back on the noise level.

As I thought, there is background hum (240Hz) at a level that's disturbing unless there is loud music playing. The hum is there even with the volume turned all the way down. As you advance the volume control, the hum doesn't get any louder but noise and a buzzing sound can be heard if you reach a setting that would melt your ears if there were anything playing.

You can reduce the hum to a negligible level by using the in-line volume control that Shure includes with the E5c. When I did that, I thought the E5c sounded really nice through the EarMax Pro. Since the Shure is such a light load, I imagine that the lesser model would sound good, too.

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 29
my etymotics er4p's no 100ohm cable dont hum that badly with my tube amp as long as there is a source powered on and hooked up.

the tube amp powers the k-1000's to thunderous levels when i ask.

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
Since the Shure is such a light load, I imagine that the lesser model would sound good, too.

The regular Ear Max will have trouble with a low impedance load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back