Tube amps with smell
Dec 26, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cantsleep

Headphoneus Supremus
some tube amps like LDll and Darkvoice(and so on) just smell. sooner or later, over the use, it will fill up the room with the smell that it produces..

is there anything that i can do to better manage the smell?
what is your trick?

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 10
blink.gif
What sort of smell? Ozone?

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, my Canadian tube amp doesn't have offensive olfactive emmisions ; Perhaps it's exclusive to Chineese tube amplifiers ? I would guess having to do with the transformer, or other parts getting very HOT and giving off odors...

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't know about that coemaudio,

I had a Sun Audio SV-2A3, but even after a year of use it still smelled fairly strongly of paint. Fortunately in my case I didn't mind the smell. I also recently bought a used pair of Heathkit UA-1s from the late sixties, and it also has some of that smell. I think you just have to get used to it.

On the other hand, there are some components that could be releasing that smell and that you can replace. The newer Mills WW resistors with the glossy finish stink like you wouldn't believe. If you have any of those in your amps I can see why you'd want to do something about them.

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 10
For the first 2 weeks or so I owned my Hi-Fi 6P13(Chinese amp)it gave off a glorious aroma of spray paint(even though the paint on it is really quality stuff and has stayed on)that made me quite happy and no it wasn't the fumes making me high thank-you-very-much!

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that coemaudio,

I had a Sun Audio SV-2A3, but even after a year of use it still smelled fairly strongly of paint. Fortunately in my case I didn't mind the smell. I also recently bought a used pair of Heathkit UA-1s from the late sixties, and it also has some of that smell. I think you just have to get used to it.

On the other hand, there are some components that could be releasing that smell and that you can replace. The newer Mills WW resistors with the glossy finish stink like you wouldn't believe. If you have any of those in your amps I can see why you'd want to do something about them.

mmmm Sun Audio, very nice stuff!

with the Ming Da gear that I stock, the smell does go away.
the first day our showroom was up, the whole room smealt of paint and possibly transformers :p. but after awhile the smell did go away and whenever we put a new product up for demo in the showroom, the smell comes back! most of our customers enjoy the smell though
icon10.gif
I guess it's sort of like that new car smell that a lot of people enjoy

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 10
I've had power tubes that smell. My speaker amp uses kt88's and I bought an octet of JJ kt88's and something about the smell combined with the sound makes me a little queasy. No kidding. I did give them my customary 2 month try out. But they were a little too analytical in the mids. Never did get used to the smell though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back