Tube amps with a warm,creamy,lush sound signature
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for the help, now I have some directions.
Erik, do you have maybe a specific model/name for a DHT tube amp?
I am really not a DIY guy,but I can look for a already built one.

there are so many choises..and I can't listen to any of the amps mentioned because there are none in my country. so I will have to be based only on your recommendationsand my intuition.

I've got Philips JAN (NOS), Sylvania (NOS) and Sovtek (NOS) 5751 tubes for my MAD Ear+HD tube amp and of all of the above I find the Sovtek tubes to warmest and most lush.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the Earmax Anniversary/Silver has adequate power for the RS-1's

Earmax pro is designed to correct the problem of Earmax with lower impedence cans. Normally it should work fine with RS1 (in terms of power).

But once again, the OP is looking for tube magic not excessive power (enough power is necessary tho). I think earmax pro works fine in that respect.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #33 of 39
as much as the sound sig of the earmax sounds good for me (it also looks pretty awsome),I don't want this to come at the expence of enough power. Tube magic doesn't mean that I can run the HD650 underpowered...or the RS-1. with my experience with the senns, they DO need a lot of power.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #34 of 39
for the J. Sound Lab amp, will it take 5751 and 12AX7 directly?

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the J. Sound Lab amp, will it take 5751 and 12AX7 directly?

NO. 12AT7 and direct equivalents only.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my Silver Edition and HD650 I can listen to it @ 12 o'clock for about an hour, it is too loud for me and there is plenty of headroom left. My usual listening position is at 10 or 11 o'clock. I don't own any Grados so i can't say anything about RS1. Driving phones loud isn't of course the only sign of good amplification, but my Silver Edition is pretty good with HD650. I also have SPL Auditor which is much more muscular amp and the difference between it and my Earmax (using HD650 or HD600) isn't that big. Auditor has somewhat better dynamics, but Earmax on the other hand has that tube magic and sweeter tone.

remember there is a big thread about HCT-Fatman-Deared Tube Headphone Amp? I had that amp for long thime about 3 years. I listen HD650 at 10:00 with Fatman. But listen WA22 at 11:00. More power to back up means dyanamic, speed, attak, and control of the headphone, etc, it doesn't always = loudness

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #37 of 39
I’m not sure that you can assess an amps’ available power by the amount that you have to turn the dial. It seems to me that some potentiometers are not very “linear”. I know that with the Audio Research pre that I use with my speaker system the amount that I turn the volume has changed now that I am using a high quality DACT stepped attenuator. My LDII acted in a similar fashion. When I replaced the low quality potentiometer with a decent Alps control I found myself using a greater range on the dial – I did not lose power instead I gained control.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #39 of 39
my earmax pro drives my sa-5000's just fine and they are 50ohm, I think, although I dont care for the sound sig of this combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back