Tube Amps + TV
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

I consider the surround sound audio a different hobby from stereo listening (that usually doesn't involve movies).

Sorry but it's exactly the same, if you like high quality sound, and that's how it's supposed to be heard, you buy a home theatre. I would say listening to a movie in stereo is like using HD-650 with one cable disconnected powered by a DAP. The jump is that big to amped, in stereo.

Although I do agree it's far more expensive, I've spent more on one pair of sides/rear speakers than most people would spend on a front stereo pair (plus high quality power amplifiers) and with the Lexicon processor it's not cheap either. And my home theatre is no way as high end as some others - dual subs, high end projector, top end Lexicon MC-12 HD EQ processor etc.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 17
Yes, I use tube amps with my A/V set up. About ten years ago an A/V magazine did a contest where they gave each person 3500.00 USD to spend. 4 people were in the contest, each made a home A/V set up and they put a curtain in front so you could not tell what was playing. Three people used solidstate one guy went with a tube set-up. The tubes won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back