Tube amps owners! Impedance matching question
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
Dear tube amp owners,

I assume you've all gone through a tedious process of meticulous testing of various head amps with your gear before you went on witht the purchase. So you should have listened to multiple choices.

I'd very much like to get some statistics on one particular aspect of amps matching cans - impedance.

I've recently got a new tube amp for my AKG K501 - Laconic HA-03, designed and manufactured by a Russian company called Audiokits. I've posted pics and specs of this amp in the Submissions thread, in case anyone is interested. The original version I've got had rather high output impedance (around 120 Ohms). People with high load impedance headphones (Senns 580/600, Beyers DT770 etc) were VERY pleased with the results. I was initially not so happy, primarily because of noticeable loss of detail in highs. So I went back to the manufacturers, and they've made a custom build for me, with twice lower output impedance (60 Ohms). The result surpassed my boldest expectations -there was a huge gain in the ability to reproduce most subtle details, with almost no (or barely noticeable) loss in impact and sound dynamics! So far it seems a very good match for K501.

May I ask you to post the combination of your gear's impedances - amp's output impedance and your headphones' load impedance. I am trying to figure out is there any rule or at least a trend.

A separate question is to K501 owners with tube amps: what was the best match to your headphones?

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 2
C'mon, guys, don't be shy to expose your favorite gear here
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, is there any sort of "AKG Team" on this forum? What should I do to join it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back