Tube amps OTL choices
Nov 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #31 of 110
Thanks for that price list. I hope it comes from the producer. The pricing is really interesting, it suggests different choices in sound approach rather than clear quality differences (?).

Actually Woo2 isn't low end but rather 'mid-end' within the Woo range. So should be the SP Extreme. They are supposed to be very good choices and excellent value for the money.

Other choices I've noted are the LD IV and Antique Sound Lab MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII and MG OTL 32 DT. I'm a rather skeptical about the LDIV (perhaps the LD III is their best deal as a secondary amp ?) and I'll investigate the ASLs.

I'd really like to hear a Woo2 vs SP Extreme comparison (but that exact combination as they are direct competitors) since you've really made me curious
smily_headphones1.gif
However only from people who have heard them both.

And of course if you have other recommendations, with new stock price below 1000 $ you're welcome to post them.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #32 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noone seems to have mentioned Berning Micro ZOTL, but this is a great OTL amp and a unique design.

Yep, that is the OTL amp that I have and it really is good. I also have one with a output transformer and it is equally good. It is a SEP amp using a single WE408a pentode tube per channel called the Yamamoto HA-02.

So I have one with and one without both are very fine amps. I am having to relocate my images to another place since the gallery has not been replicated.
BerningZOTL_01.JPG

HA-02d.jpg

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #33 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that price list. I hope it comes from the producer. The pricing is really interesting, it suggests different choices in sound approach rather than clear quality differences (?).

Actually Woo2 isn't low end but rather 'mid-end' within the Woo range. So should be the SP Extreme. They are supposed to be very good choices and excellent value for the money.

Other choices I've noted are the LD IV and Antique Sound Lab MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII and MG OTL 32 DT. I'm a rather skeptical about the LDIV (perhaps the LD III is their best deal as a secondary amp ?) and I'll investigate the ASLs.

I'd really like to hear a Woo2 vs SP Extreme comparison (but that exact combination as they are direct competitors) since you've really made me curious
smily_headphones1.gif
However only from people who have heard them both.

And of course if you have other recommendations, with new stock price below 1000 $ you're welcome to post them.

Cant speak for the Woo amps. the only one I have heard is the big 300B 2-box #5. However, I have owned the ASL OTL32 and it is not on the level of the Singlepower amps I have owned or heard. it was noisey and not very refined. It does drive the K1000. Not sure if the Extreme will do that or not. My advice to you is to find someone or a meet within driving range and go listen to some different amps. Every one here can tell you what they like best and offer general sonics of a certain product. With the SP amps this can range to extreme ends of the spectrom due to there changing with tube rolling. Then, at least we will know where your coming from when you give a reference as to what you like.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 110
No meets in my part of the world
smily_headphones1.gif
No amps locally either, no market for used etc.
tongue.gif
I have to make the right decision in the first place or live with it.
Thanks for the heads-up on the ASL. I reiterate the amp will primarily be used with Senn 650s. Later on perhaps with an AKG K601 / Alessandro / other more forward phone.

...so if anyone has heard that Woo2 vs SP Extreme combination he's welcome to post his thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #35 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am only talking new. Anyone can find anything used (or not), but to compare you need a common reference.

Since you insist with the Singlepowers
smily_headphones1.gif
, does anyone have a clear and definitive price list for them (stock models up to 1000$). No mail to somebody, no forum sales or 3rd parties with particular variants. But a real and clear price list from the producer for their (lower) range.

Also, how would you compare the sound of the Singlpower extreme to the Woo2 ? Not the Woo6, nor Woo4 but Woo2 since that is its direct competitor in the Woo range.
(I couldn't even find the "Extreme" on their site. Only PPX3 and PPX3 and PPX3-6SN7. Are they the same ?)

Singlepower's info on the Extreme is here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f61/ex...lifier-210429/

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 110
Sorry this is off topic for this thread and was meant for another thread.

..removed due to wrong context.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've not heard the woo amps or any amp other than my personal amp but i would like to speak on it's behalf for a second.

from what i'm being told this darkvoice 332 was designed for the HD650's. in fact you can get a 332 bundled with the HD650's from the darkvoice people as well as most any other of their amps. to me that's a pretty strong recommendation for this amp.

as far as warmth and richness and all the other words you've put out there. i can't really tell you what this amp sounds like because i've not heard others and what i think may not be what you think (YMMV). i will say that tube choices (tube rolling) plays a big roll in this amp and i'd imagine in other DV designs. when i tried the OEM tubes they sounded very washed out and faded away. there was a warm fuzz over everything in a bad sort of way. details were lost, staging wasn't as accurate. honestly the amp wouldn't have been worth the money. luckily the previous owners left me some tubes to play with and one of those pairs was a set of phillips 8100's. these tubes completely changed the sound of the amp. everything opened up, mids were alot more obvious and the highs that were gone were back.

now that i've said all that. your budget is $1000. with that you should be in range for a few amps that are leagues above any of the darkvoice or low end WA amps. i think the zana deux is in your scope and while it will probably take most if not all of your budget it would be one of the best decisions you could make as far as $1000 headphone amps go. allegedly sounds amazing and regardless of that it's capable of powering everything from 650's to 701's to even Grado's. that swiss army knife capability would probably win me over first and foremost. specially since i could try different phones to get the sound i want.

i'd say that's my $.02 but this hobby has taken those two pennies from me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Zana is $1990 without shipping or 6c33 tubes. The Extreme is $999, has 2-3 times the power output of the Zana .... and can drive ANY headphone including the AKG K1000. The Extreme has a warmer more musical tonality IMO, uses less expensive tubes and has many more tuberolling options.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 110
The Extreme (I have heard stock and own the Platinum with a couple upgrades) is the best Senn amp I've heard that is not double it's budget, and sometimes bests those that are. I'm a huge 650 fan, but dislike it with almost every amp in it's price range I've heard except mine. I don't have experience with any Woo except the Woo5, once with stock and once with WE tubes. With the Senns, I prefer the Extreme.

The Berning Micro ZOTL is an interesting and excellent recommendation, but can you even get those anymore?

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #39 of 110
Why not? If I want it, I can get it. L3000, R10, PS1 and etc. are all discontinued. They can still be found and well discuessed here.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #40 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Berning Micro ZOTL is an interesting and excellent recommendation, but can you even get those anymore?

They are rare and it's replacement will be coming out this next year at a greatly increase price.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the recent base model prices for the
PPX3-725.00
PPX3 slam-885.00
Extreme-999.00
MPX3-1050.00

interesting now can someone PLEASE explain the differences between these amps?

The difference in pricing is almost inconsequential so why wouldn't you just buy the MPX3?

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #44 of 110
How could I forget ? I never knew about it !
tongue.gif

Seriously, right now I'm trying to get comparative opinions between the Woo2, the PPX / Extreme from Singlewower and the DV 337 which seems to be more warm and 'tube-like' than what I've thought about it. This Raptor is a little over my budget limit and it also seems a bit too correct and impersonal from that review.
If you have more suggestions or comparative details... you know what to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #45 of 110
Maybe some of these reviews will help you out in your amp hunt
Enjoy the Music.com - High End Audiophile Audio Equipment and Music Review website. The Absolute Sound, The Audiophile Voice, Superior Audio, Sensible Sound, and Review Magazine
Type in singlepower in the homepage search and it will take you to the MPX3 review

6moons audio reviews: SinglePower MPX3

positive feedback online
They did a review on the old toaster style Singlepower Supra in issue #15

SoundStage!
reviewed both the PPX3 and the Supra. If you click on equipment and then go to the bottom of the page it will have an equipment archives section. it will take you to a bunch of headphone related reviews.

Also if you google PPX3 slam some(cant remember) did a review of that amp also.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back