tube amps $300
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Build your own. You will save money and the difference is probably not noticable.Maybe a SOHA or CJ?

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 12
I was thinking of building a SOHA, but the hassle of power supply and such =/ How does the millett hybrid compare to the SOHA? like SQ wise and difficulty. I have a pair of dt880's so I need to find a good tube amp.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 12
There is a millett max out now that probably sounds great and has everyhting.
I never had a dt880 so I can't be sure there.It all depends on what type of tubes you want to use. the SOHA uses 12au7 and the millett uses 12au6's. There is more variety with the SOHA on tube choices. The SOHA may sound better with the buffer boards that can be built for it. They are not here yet.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 12
The SOHA is easy. You just put in the parts and solder. It is just as easy as the millett. There is a old style millett but that is it.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 12
what headphone(s) are you going to use?

Some choices (within ur budget):

x-can v2 or v3
asl mg head dt otl mkII or III
eddie current lunch box
darkvoice 336i

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 12
If you do not feel confident with DIY it would be easier to go with the choices ooztuncer stated.I have a lot of experience with electronics so I don't want to make it seem too easy. Especially for someone that has never picked up a soldering iron.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what headphone(s) are you going to use?

Some choices (within ur budget):

x-can v2 or v3
asl mg head dt otl mkII or III
eddie current lunch box
darkvoice 336i

i'm using dt880's

Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do not feel confident with DIY it would be easier to go with the choices ooztuncer stated.I have a lot of experience with electronics so I don't want to make it seem too easy. Especially for someone that has never picked up a soldering iron.

well, i've picked up a soldering iron before, well it was my friend's, but picking it up still counts right?
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
If you do want to DIY I would suggest getting a book from the library or a look up a website on soldering just so you know something about it.There is a xcan version 2 for sale for $170 (I think )in the for sale section that I almost picked up myself.I wound up ordering parts for the CJ amp I want to build instead.You can eventually do the pink floyd mod on the xcan and that is supposed to make it sound real nice.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 12
A CMOY is a great starter amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back