Tube Amp'd set for Techno/Rock
Jul 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mewrei

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the audiophile headphone arena, so asking the experts seems to be the most logical standpoint.

I've picked out 3-4 different headsets based on information I've been reading about them throughout the forums, but I'm certainly open to new suggestions. I'd prefer to stay in the sub-$400 range if possible.

I'm looking at:
Sennheiser HD595's
Sennheiser HD600's
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro's (the 250 ohm variant)
Grado SR325i's

I'm also willing to do mods on the cans if it'll improve performance beyond my price range. I'd also prefer a set that won't fall apart on me (physically or electrically) because, like I said, I like to play around with things and these may be used to work on amps and such I work on in the future (albeit I'll be slapping those on an oscilloscope before trying them on my headphones).

Thanks for your help guys.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT 880's (non-Pro variant, for comfort reasons, unless there's a compelling reason to utilize the Pro variant).

Given the amplifier source, is there a significant difference between the 250 ohm and the 600 ohm versions?

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 12
forget about the Sr325i for attenuated highs, with a decent amp it'd be either HD600/650 or DT880 (from your list). The 600 version is said to be the better one, but it considerably more expensive as you can only find these with the Manufaktur program on the Beyer website. Possibly the coolest headphone function around, but pricey.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mewrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to enjoy the extra bit of bass too (not excessive though, but the capable handling of bass is nice in techno, specifically The Prodigy and Leftfield).

I love hearing this because i'm not sure most people realize how crazy it is getting Prodigy to sound right at higher volumes. I haven't tried DAC/Amp setups yet, but I know if you really love that kind of music, go in it for the bass. Either purchase the D5000, D7000, Or DT880. They should be one of the few phones that can deliver that kind of monster low end.

Still I always will miss the internal vibration of every molecule of my body that Prodigy out of a home system gave me.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 12
@paaj, thanks for the advice, I was reading and the Grado's seems to have a tinny sound that would probably further exacerbate the brightness issue. I also contacted the designers of the Millet Max Hybrid amp and they're saying that 600 ohms is a pretty big load to drive, I may start with the 250 ohm variant.

@RushNerd, I know what you mean, I can sort of tell that there's some definition lacking in some of their stuff whenever I listen to it and I'd like to reclaim it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 12
@Acix, what advantages do they have over the Beyerdynamics? Any specific models you like?

Thanks

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

@Acix, what advantages do they have over the Beyerdynamics? Any specific models you like?

Thanks

Any Ultrasones give me the wow over the 770. The sound stage is more exciting and energetic do the S-logic. The sound is more clear with more punchy in the bass. Great for any kick/bass track. The Ultrasones make you want to dance.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 12
@Acix, Hope they have a long cord, last thing I need to do is drag my audio gear off the desk
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to figure out a way to try some of them locally. Thanks for the help

@tdogzthmn, that's good to know

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

@Acix, Hope they have a long cord, last thing I need to do is drag my audio gear off the desk
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to figure out a way to try some of them locally. Thanks for the help

@tdogzthmn, that's good to know

The Pro and the Proline series come with two 3 meter detachable cables, one straight, one coiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back