Tube amp
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Magnum26

New Head-Fier
HI Guys,

I've been going through a lot of threads about amps lately and frankly I'm still lost with what to get. I'd rather not spend more than £200-£300 (around the same cost as my headphones) and I would like a visible tube(s) (LED lit would be ideal I like lights 
biggrin.gif
). I will be taking this to LAN Parties every so often so will need to be small enough to fit on my desk. Could you list me some suggestions that I can go and have a look at please? Posting links and pictures would also help. 

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 2
Millet hybrid territory... its best feature is you can increase/decrease bias voltage anywhere from ~10.5-14 volts to either increase or decrease even order THD. No other tube amp allows you to (safely) do this.  Its not really a commercial product or associated with any forum sponsor so it misses HF-fotm hype.  12FM6/K6 tubes are pretty bomb proof-reliable.  They were originally made in the 50-60s for car radios, and can withstand all kinds of shock, impact and vibration as well as voltage fluctuations.  Spare backup tubes are easy to pack, if your'e hauling this rig around form place to place you will need to factor in backup / spare tubes in your decision making.  For your LAN parties I think the millet  is a perfect candidate.

Lot of good OTL amps out there to pick from match up well with the DT880-250.  LD1+, 2, 3, DV 336, earmax (used)... I really like 6AS7G tubes, affordable, readily available and the amps that use them can be made to sound a lot of different ways with tube rolling.  They are not the most trans-portable things though, either the tubes or amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back