Tube amp, then DAC
Mar 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ruppin

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to add a tube Headphone amp to my setup. Source will be either digital from a hard disk, over airport, optical, DAC or phono, phono stage, amp.

The Raptor seems popular but does not have a crossfeed switch. Meier has a new tube amp with crossfeed, but they don't make it. Has anyone heard that one?

Other recommendations for amps.

Assuming I get one of the above, I am considering the Benchmark (flexible, dependable), but would welcome other advice, especially to go with a tube amp. I will also be using Manley preamp and amps to power speakers.

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Regarding the DAC I'd take a look at the Apogee MiniDAC too. Being the Benchmark very good I think it is a bit overrated around here. I know 4 head-fiers that had both DACs at the same time and all of them ended selling the Benchmark and keeping the Apogee.
And there is another one that owns both and he prefers the Apogee too as you can see on this recent thread

You might prefer the DAC1 but it might worth to try both if you can first.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 6
I love my MPX3 and my Lavry
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 6
When I need/want crossfeed, I just use a Foobar add on. I wont get in to the whole crossfeed controversy thing, but if ya gotta have it, ya gotta have it.

Love my Raptor, I find I need/want crossfeed only for a very few older classical disks.

New tubes coming, might lose all interest in crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back