Tube Amp Suggestions (upgrade from Purity Audio KICAS)
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Levaix

100+ Head-Fier
Probably going to be a while before I can even think about upgrading, but hey! Maybe it won't be as pricey as I expect?

This last year, I was starting to feel underwhelmed with the performance of my Aune T1, so I began to look at external amps. I was mostly considering the O2 for its price, but when a used Purity Audio KICAS came up on the classifieds I bought it on a whim. Probably one of the best audio purchase decisions I've ever made, and I highly recommend it if you can find one. Powerful, dynamic sound with some of the deepest, best controlled bass I've heard.

But, of course this being Head-Fi, I can't just leave well enough alone. I recently heard someone's Project Ember and immediately liked the musical presentation, so now I'm considering a tube amp. Here are my main considerations.

-My main headphones are Ultrasone Signature Pros. If I ever upgrade it will probably be Fostex TH900s or the unlimited version (ie. cheap) of the Ultrasone Edition 5s

-Definitely need deep, well controlled bass. The Sig Pros have awesome bass potential with the right amp. I feel like this might be the hard part for a tube amp.

-I already upgraded my Aune T1 to a nicer DAC, so I'm not interested in a combo unit.

-Project Ember was very nice but the bass was crushed by my KICAS.

-I heard a Darkvoice amp at a recent meet, but wasn't particularly impressed. Don't know what tubes, though, and granted it wasn't my own music.

-I have no clue where to even start with Woo Audio. Is WA3 really going to be a poor choice with the Ultrasones because it's OTL? But I've read that the WA6 might be lacking the bass I want (granted, that's only from one or two people).

-In terms of price... Probably under $800. Feel free to stretch that or give me crazy expensive suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back