Tube amp & SS Source or SS Amp & Tube Source?
Jul 30, 2006 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
I would like to try out tubes and was wondering what would be the best pick as to where to have them in my chain.

Right now I have a pair of MS-2i's but they're running straight out of my soundcard (Audiophile 192). They sound ok, but I can tell that there is something more to them.

I started another thread asking for a fast but warm amp and it got a total of 1 reply so maybe this method will work a little better.

I would buy an amp first then upgrade my source so I would like to know what would make the MS-2i's sing the best. I would probably get a dac as a source if that makes it easier for anyone.

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I would like to try out tubes and was wondering what would be the best pick as to where to have them in my chain.

Right now I have a pair of MS-2i's but they're running straight out of my soundcard (Audiophile 192). They sound ok, but I can tell that there is something more to them.

I started another thread asking for a fast but warm amp and it got a total of 1 reply so maybe this method will work a little better.

I would buy an amp first then upgrade my source so I would like to know what would make the MS-2i's sing the best. I would probably get a dac as a source if that makes it easier for anyone.

Thanks.

Fast but warm amp = Singlepower SLAM PPX3. The SLAM PPX3 sound great with grados .... actually with about any headphone. You cant go wrong with this amp. There is a wealth of info on these amps if you do a search for more input.

On to your next question I personally use a ss source with tube amps. I have heard a few tube output sources that are neutral enough to mate with a tube amp .... but they tend to be expensive.

You didnt give a budget so a dac is a good low cost solution. But for the best sound I like the modded one box cd players from establishments like sacdmods. These players cost more but you get what you pay for +.

www.sacdmods.com

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 9
SS source - tube preamp - SS amp is my favorite combo.

SS source - tube integrated amp is also quite good.

Don't like any other combo myself.

I like a neutral SS source and believe that a tube source may introduce tone body richness that is overemphasized in being early in the signal chain.

After a SS source, a tube preamp can add some tone body fullness/richness, then a SS amp can emphasize tone edge sharpness, and the combo can be just right. This produces the best in 3-D imaging of tones/instruments pinpointed in empty space, where tones are encapsulated (a rich and full body with sharply defined edges) to a high degree.

The hybrid headphone amp is a like a tube preamp plus SS amp in this regard.

Much depends on tube selection: as someone posting here often says, "good tubes with a bad amp is better than bad tubes with a good amp".

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
SS source - tube preamp - SS amp is my favorite combo.

SS source - tube integrated amp is also quite good.

Don't like any other combo myself.

I like a neutral SS source and believe that a tube source may introduce tone body richness that is overemphasized in being early in the signal chain.

After a SS source, a tube preamp can add some tone body fullness/richness, then a SS amp can emphasize tone edge sharpness, and the combo can be just right. This produces the best in 3-D imaging of tones/instruments pinpointed in empty space, where tones are encapsulated (a rich and full body with sharply defined edges) to a high degree.

The hybrid headphone amp is a like a tube preamp plus SS amp in this regard.

Much depends on tube selection: as someone posting here often says, "good tubes with a bad amp is better than bad tubes with a good amp".

x2... this pretty much nails it for me.
SS source + tube amp. Millet hybrid and earmax are my amps of choice. Millet when I want an aggressive, yet still warm sound, earmax when I want a super-colored, warm sound for my RS1.

My technics CD deck is pretty neutral... if anything its a bit bass-shy.

Carver once made some tube/hybrid CD decks which I'm kind of interested in. Although it might color things too much, they're around $200 used.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 9
If you have only one system then I would say you can put tube wherever you like.
But if you ever expand your system then I say get an SS source. This way you keep the option of having a pure SS system, which is the norm today. All-tube systems without any transistor in the signal path is very rare today. Unless you are considering an all-tube system, I would say get an SS source because it is more versatile. One source can feed multiple amps.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 9
I like my SS source modded CD-E5 to my SS DIY Dynamight amp.

Very neutral and transparent, and musical.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
I like my SS source ... to my SS ... amp.

Very neutral and transparent, and musical.

Darn straight!
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the input everyone!

I know what I want to do but don't have the cash to do so
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I am pretty sure the PPX3 Slam is what I eventually want to work towards, but that might be quite a while. Would the Meier Headfive be a good amp to get that full, fun sound until I can work up to the Slam?

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Thanks for the input everyone!

I know what I want to do but don't have the cash to do so
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I am pretty sure the PPX3 Slam is what I eventually want to work towards, but that might be quite a while. Would the Meier Headfive be a good amp to get that full, fun sound until I can work up to the Slam?

tmp7741ey4.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the Meridian line with the Singlepower line of tube amps. PS. Mikhail has a Meridian he uses for everything at his shop and he brings it to the meet's so there is a big endorsment for Meridian. I think he might have had the Meridian in mind when he built the PPX3 Slam what do you think? they look good in the picture togeather don't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back