Tube amp recommendations?
May 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

singular

Head-Fier
Been doing a bit of reading and there seem to be a number of contenders. I've got a nice little cmoy which does the job, but all the threads on here have got me interested in trying some tubes out for myself. This will be primarily for listening to jazz/classical/acoustic guitar/folk.

I have some Grado RS2 headphones and also took the plunge and have pre-ordered the HF2. I haven't had a great deal of experience of different phones, but from those I've tried I certainly like the Grado sound the most and I think it suits my preferred music type the most. My sources are WAV files from the computer through an iBasso D3 as a DAC, or also a recently purchased Pro-ject 1.2 TT with Cambridge phono stage.

I don't want to spend a large amount of cash - say up to about £300/$500 so I guess kinda entry-mid level. Maybe a bit more for something which will be perfect.

So far the front runners are;

Woo Audio WA6 - from what I read works well with Grados, looks stylish (which is important let's face it...), nice sound across the range. Price is a little more than what I wanted to pay - particularly if I factor in shipping - they don't seem to have UK distribution.

TRANSCENDERE S5 - seems good from the limited number of reviews I've seen, some concerns over tube/build quality? Being able to drive a small set of speakers would be a benefit as this would be set up in my home office.

Pacific Valve Ming Da MC 84C07 - potentially not great with low impedance Grados, may require some tube rolling to get the best out of it for these phones. Nice price though and also has the advantage of driving some small speakers.

Earmax Pro - Really like the look of these neat little fellas and the few (seemingly old?) reviews I've found are all glowing. Couldn't find any specific mention of how they pair with Grados. Again, quite a bit more than I was intending on spending and they don't seem to come up second hand - perhaps that's a good sign...

I'm not hung up on brand new, if anyone has any screaming deals they'd like to offer me on something suitable I'm all ears (so to speak...)

Any advice, guidance, or recommendations for other alternatives greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

May 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 23
I would probably rule out the Ming Da for Grados. Skylab apparently really likes his, but he put in a disclaimer that for low impedance cans, there is a noticeable hum. That turned me off from the k701s (among other things), and turned me pro-HD650. I don't really know the other two, aside from the Woo.

May 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 23
I also suggest checking out the MAD Ear + HD. It makes my RS2 sound pretty good. Also, they have a reputation for making Grados sing.

May 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 23
Wow, those MAD Ears look lovely, particularly this one.

voodoochile_ear+hd_custom.jpg

Though I'm guessing that's not stock... Time to start saving...

May 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 23
If you are on a budget. The LD MK III is an amp that has a very good price performance ratio.

May 20, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by singular /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif
That is one beauty of an amp !

Peete.

May 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Yep, I read Skylab's reviews (or most of them) and that's how I narrowed it down this far, though now it seems the strongest contender has since come from a recommendation in this thread, the Mapletree, which wasn't in Skylab's monster 21 amp review. I've dropped a mail to Lloyd at MAD so we'll see what he says. If I can move a few other things on shortly that's definitely on the cards. Thanks for the help, will let you know how I get on.

Sam

May 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Eye candy of lust. Very nice.

May 25, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Looks fantastic! Particularly like the reflection of the tubes. Looks suspended on water...

May 25, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Thats sexy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back