Tube amp recommendations for HE-560?
Apr 29, 2015 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

playmeoasis

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-fi'ers,

I come to you today for help in searching for a suitable tube amp for my newly acquired HifiMan HE-560. 
Currently, I have a solid state integrated amplifier providing juice for these cans but I would like the sound to be a bit warmer.
So, I have been meaning to purchase a tube amp for these.

I would like to keep the price within $500ish at max, but preferably cheaper (poor college student).
So far, LD MK III or IV and Schiit Lyr 2 seem to be good candidates for me. 
What is the difference between MK 3 and 4?
Is it significant enough for me to dump extra cash for 4?

Or if you have any other suggestions, I am open to anything.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 17
The HE-560 are low sensitivity, low impedance headphones making them a bit difficult to drive. So definitely want something with a good bit of power. For instance, the Schiit Lyr 2 would have way more than enough.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 17
The Lyr2 is a hybrid - uses tubes on the input.  I have the 560s also and they're easily driven with Valhalla 2.  The Valhalla 2 is an all tube amp.  You might want to take a look at it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 17
  The Lyr2 is a hybrid - uses tubes on the input.  I have the 560s also and they're easily driven with Valhalla 2.  The Valhalla 2 is an all tube amp.  You might want to take a look at it.

I definitely considered Valhalla 2 but I have read many people say that the sound is quite neutral and even cold sometimes (like not a typical warm tube sound which is what I am looking for). Is this true?

The HE-560 are low sensitivity, low impedance headphones making them a bit difficult to drive. So definitely want something with a good bit of power. For instance, the Schiit Lyr 2 would have way more than enough.

Thanks. I will certainly check out Lyr 2 (my local shop has it). What about the LD MK 3 or 4? Their power output is much lower than Lyr 2 *(100 mw @ 32 ohm). Is this not enough? I ask because the price difference is also quite substantial. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 17
The Valhalla2 is a neutral sounding amp.  Nowadays, any properly designed and built tube amp will generally have a flat frequency response and minimal distortion.  The use of tubes doesn't mean tubby bass, bloomy midrange ,etc today.  If the amp has been built to color the sound, it will.  Most well-made amps today will be as good as a SS amp except for noise.

Don't know if this helps, but unless the amp has intentional coloration as part of its design or construction, it generally will offer a somewhat neutral profile.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 17
  The Valhalla2 is a neutral sounding amp.  Nowadays, any properly designed and built tube amp will generally have a flat frequency response and minimal distortion.  The use of tubes doesn't mean tubby bass, bloomy midrange ,etc today.  If the amp has been built to color the sound, it will.  Most well-made amps today will be as good as a SS amp except for noise.

Don't know if this helps, but unless the amp has intentional coloration as part of its design or construction, it generally will offer a somewhat neutral profile.

Ah, I see.
I guess then I need to change my question slightly.
I am indeed trying to get an amp that will "color" the sound of my HE-560 towards warm.
Right now, out of my solid state amp, it sounds too dry and analytical. 
I guess that's the general trend for planers but if I could just give it a bit of warmth to its sound, I would be very happy. 
Would tube amps achieve this or am I not gonna find what I want?

May 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 17

Ah, I see.
I guess then I need to change my question slightly.
I am indeed trying to get an amp that will "color" the sound of my HE-560 towards warm.
Right now, out of my solid state amp, it sounds too dry and analytical.
I guess that's the general trend for planers but if I could just give it a bit of warmth to its sound, I would be very happy.
Would tube amps achieve this or am I not gonna find what I want?

You mentioned the Little Dot amps in an earlier post.  These may be of suffciently poor design or construction as to color the sound.  I have no experience with them.  There are a couple of different threads in the Desktop amp section.  You may want to check it out.  Folks who have one can probably tell you more.
Most of the myth about tubes comes from vintage gear produced in the 50's and 60's.  Manufacturers would generally cut some corners to keep the price down.  This generally was with power supplies that ran on the ragged edge of their limits, output transformers that would become saturated well before their amps rated output, wide tolerance passive components with poor TCs, etc.
This would result in rolled off high frequency response, tubby bass and harmonic distortion that would occur even at low power levels.
Funny how we seem to still prefer that in some cases today.

I'm sure there may be some tube amps out there that might satisfy your requirements.  After reading 20 years of Stereophile, it seems that the really expensive amps have the poorest electrical performance while the reviewer raves about how good the sound is.  I guess we all tend to gravitate toward a rolled-off treble response and loads of 2nd harmonic distortion.

If you don't find what you're looking for, you might consider a graphic or parametric equalizer.  A decent analog graphic type can be had for around $100.  Parametrics are a little higher.  You could tailor the sound to your liking.

Good luck

May 1, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 17
  After reading 20 years of Stereophile, it seems that the really expensive amps have the poorest electrical performance while the reviewer raves about how good the sound is.  I guess we all tend to gravitate toward a rolled-off treble response and loads of 2nd harmonic distortion.

Haha I guess sound preference is a highly subjective thing but that seems rather silly.

I am going to drop by a headphone store today to check out some Schiit products and any other tube amps they have.
After reading your reply, I realized that unless I can somehow get my hands on a vintage gear, I won't find what I originally looked for.
The reason why I mentioned LD amps initially was because they seemed very cheap compared to other all-tube headphone amps in the market.
But the more I read about them, the more I realize they aren't really for 560. 
The dream of saving $$ is probably dead but oh well.

Will update you on what amp I end up getting.
Thanks for your input!

May 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 17
Might I suggest a Project Ember hybrid valve amp. I have one and, depending which tube I use, I can colour the sound any way I want. They're within your budget too. Just a thought.

May 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 17

Haha I guess sound preference is a highly subjective thing but that seems rather silly.

I am going to drop by a headphone store today to check out some Schiit products and any other tube amps they have.
After reading your reply, I realized that unless I can somehow get my hands on a vintage gear, I won't find what I originally looked for.
The reason why I mentioned LD amps initially was because they seemed very cheap compared to other all-tube headphone amps in the market.
But the more I read about them, the more I realize they aren't really for 560.
The dream of saving $$ is probably dead but oh well.

Will update you on what amp I end up getting.
Thanks for your input!

Well, I didn't mean to suggest that you had to find a vintage headphone amp to get a sound you liked - just wanted to note that the idea that anything made today with tubes was going to sound like the older equipment is not necessarily valid.  You probably won't find too many vintage headphone amps - I'm not sure if anyone made one back then.  Headphones were generally supported via a front panel jack on a preamp or integrated amp.
The suggestion of that Project Ember may offer you some options - I don't know.  Woo Audio offers some tube amps that might be viable. There's a thread in the desktop amp section you might want to check out.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find something to your liking.

May 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 17
Ended up getting Lyr 2 after demoing a few amps.
I really wanted to try Ember but there is no way to hear it before buying so I just went with Lyr 2.
I quite like the sound. It definitely eliminates any sibilance 560 might have on certain songs and adds a touch of warmth.
I enjoy it with the stock tubes so it's only gonna get better once I start tube rolling too.
Anyways, thanks everyone for pitching in ideas!

May 9, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 17
That's great, I'm glad you found something you like.  Man, I've really been enjoying my 560s over the past several months.  They have all but replaced my LCD-3s.  I enjoy them with just about any music.  It sounds like you're set up now for a very good time ahead.

Cheers

May 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 17
I see violectric has a spring sale going on. I've read they have a warm smooth sound that should pair nicely with the 560s. Anyone here have experience with that combo? I dread trying to find the answer in the huge thread. So far I like the 560 best with the geek out. Which I thought would be too bright due to the sabre.

May 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 17
Project Ember
http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm

May 10, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 17
  That's great, I'm glad you found something you like.  Man, I've really been enjoying my 560s over the past several months.  They have all but replaced my LCD-3s.  I enjoy them with just about any music.  It sounds like you're set up now for a very good time ahead.

Cheers

560s are indeed damn good at just about everything.
When you feed them enough juice, which Lyr 2 certainly does, they become magical.
I'm listening to Wish You Were Here (the album in its entirety) by Pink Floyd as I'm typing right now.
And I'm about to cry due to how good it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back