Tube amp output capacitors...
Apr 2, 2007 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
I've just changed the output caps in my 708B amp from a pair of Mundorf 100+100uF - 450V caps to a pair of Samwha 1500uF - 385V ones.

Would putting a bleeder resistor across these caps alter the sound at all?

The reason I ask is because there's a lot of stored energy sitting there, and I don't want to blow my cans up when I plug them into the amp.

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 7
blink.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a much easier and faster way to get an answer to this question than by waiting around for a response...

Yeah... That helped.
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have a bunch of spare resistors laying around the house, and I don't feel like going through the expense and time of getting a pair of resistors just to find out that it messes up the sound.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 7
My guess is you have a Radio Shack in central Florida, or that you have other resistors around your house (http://www.passdiy.com/images/projects/z1-fig3.gif)
Be creative. By the way, 1K is probably a good value to try for a headphone only amp, but if it is a preamp too, 50K is probably more reasonable.

Edit: looking below, I see I misinterpreted your question. My 1K or 50K suggestion was from out to ground which is what I thought you were asking, not across the cap.

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 7
putting a bleeder resistor across the cap is a guaranteed way
to put dc into your headphones. Real bad idea.

Much better to put a resistor to ground (say 1k) at the output
of the capacitor to ground.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
putting a bleeder resistor across the cap is a guaranteed way
to put dc into your headphones. Real bad idea.

Much better to put a resistor to ground (say 1k) at the output
of the capacitor to ground.

That's exactly what my father told me after I asked him the same thing.

There's also the option of putting a couple of 1k resistors inside a TRS connector which is most likely what I'll be doing. This was suggested to me by another member (dcheming).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back