Tube Amp - On All the Time?
Aug 19, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 17
First and foremost, all amps are not created equal. Some makers will warn against leaving the amp on for more than 4-6 hours at a time. I try to design a 10:1 power margin in all the components I put into my amps (not always practical). During the initial evaluation I will leave it on 24/7 for 3 months or more. Keep in mind that it’s on a work bench, fused, away from combustible material, and all my amps have a shutdown relay which will remove power should there be even a momentary power outage.
It’s been mentioned before and it’s very true “Heat kills electronics.” All that said and safety issues aside why burn-up your tube life NOT enjoying the music? As long as your amp is up to the task, don’t get neurotic about it but use common sense. If you are not going to be using the amp for more than a couple of hours and can live with a 30 minute warm-up just turn it off. Regardless of the amp, I could never recommend that you leave it unattended for any length of time.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was covered recently in another thread with no real agreement. I would never leave a tube amp on overnight, but I do leave them on all day once I turn them on, and then turn them off only at night, unless I know for a fact I won't use them again that day.

x2

If I need to turn the amp off, then it will not be powered back up until the next day. I have a troublesome paranoia about turning it on multiple times within a 24 hour period
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back